Welcome Home - Chapter 23

Start from the beginning

     I leave the bathroom toting my old clothes with me and neatly folding them at the edge of the couch. I lay down on the soft cushions. I cover myself with multiple blankets folded at the end of the couch and easily fall asleep with Sleeper laying on my stomach.

     I wake to scurrying around the house. Quietly I sit up with a small protest from my bruised ribs. Sleeper takes notice and heals my wound. Dylan runs around the house with a small kite trailing behind him only staying airborne from the speed of his running. Vulcan sits quietly on his head like a weird looking dark blue hat. "You're awake!" Dylan scurries over to the couch and sits next to me, "Good morning, Michel and Sleeper!"

     I rub my eyes and mumble a good morning.

Good morning. Sleeper states to them.

     "Why do you look like a girl?" Dylan questions.

     Ugh. I'm not wearing my binder. I know Dylan didn't mean anything mean by it but it still hurts me inside. "Because I used to be. My name used to be Mackenzie but I changed it to Michel because I hated being a girl. Now, as a boy I still have features of a girl but I hide them." I try to explain.

     "Oh. That's cool. I've always wanted to have an older brother," Dylan smiles and with that he leaves and continues running around with his kite. I pick up my clothes and go into the bathroom to change.

No binder, Michel. It hurts you.

     "No, I wearing it." I complain as I turn the light off and try to slip the overly small binder over my chest.

No. Sleeper rips the binder from over my shoulders. I will be your binder but a properly sized one.

I turn the lights back on to find Sleeper formed around my chest. I turn sideways in the mirror. Wow, he's compressing quite well. "Thanks, Sleeper."

     A wave a warmth passes over me. You look nice, Michel.

     A blush flutters across my face but neither of us mention it. Instead I check my outfit to see if I pass. Not bad. With that thought I exit the bathroom to find Eddie and Venom making breakfast. Dylan and Vulcan happily sit in front of the T.V. watching cartoons. I walk over to Eddie, "Do you need any help?"

     "No, kiddo, thank you for asking. Do you like fried egg breakfast sandwiches?"

     "That sounds delicious!" It really does. Before I met the Brocks, I was living off of Sleeper's meals of bad guys and anything I could steal or find in the garbage.

     I sit at the table, though still working as a binder, Sleeper stretches over onto my shoulder and I absentmindedly pet my symbiot. Sleeper purrs happily and snuggles into my touch. I woken from my though by Eddie's question, "How did you sleep last night, Michel?"

     "I slept very well, thank you. Your couch is so much more comfortable than our nest of old blankets," I reply.

     "I'm glad, after breakfast we'll go shopping and find you a better bed."

     I feel so insecure being cared for and bought things. I haven't had that in a long time. "Thank you, Eddie. You know you don't need to. The couch is fine."