Chapter Forty-Four

-Siyambonga Ntabeni-

The following morning we woke up and prepared for school, by the time we were all done, bhuti came out of the room he shares with his beloved wife and went to wait for us in the car outside. Sim looked at me and I shrugged. I made lunch for the kids in silence, she walked out and went to ask if he was taking us to school or should we find our way, apparently he said he was taking us. I didn't even ask about his tone or attitude when he said that, she was also not in a kind or polite space so I didn't want to bother her too.

The way to school was a very quiet one... we could tell that ubhuti had no intentions of going to work. He was probably going to drop us off and return to his wife. I got off first, and walked ahead of the other two. Shaniqua was already waiting for me so I walked over to her and walked her to her class. I got my morning kiss and then walked a few blocks back to mine.

After school...

Bhut'Masi's car was already waiting for us. Now, that very moment I realized how the move could have been a tad untimely because mom had just gotten out of the hospital. How was she going to drive us to and from school every day? The doctor had told her to take it easy, especially because they had to drain some fluid off her body. The way to granddads house was very quiet, Undi only smiled when he saw the gate. He looked at Musa and they both gazed excitedly at the gate as it opened. It was probably because of the fruit garden and swings at the back. They were probably excited over that. We got off...

Masx: There's shopping bags in the trunk, ndicela niphathisane.

Me: Okay bhuti.

Musa and Undi just got out of the car and ran inside, no mphathiswano from them. They probably didn't even hear that part.

Sim rolled her eyes at me as I opened the trunk, nigga had brought groceries... well, either he did that or his wife asked him to. It didn't matter... oksalayo there was food for us. We offloaded everything and then closed his trunk. The bags were quite a lot for just the two of us, his daughter got off the car and came to assist us. I saw the change of facial expression from Sim and quickly grabbed all that I could carry ndabashiya pha. I wasn't going to be involved in their feud again.

Me: Nkqooooo!

Undi: Ngeenaaaa!

Me: Hay mpa, ndifuna kuphendule umamam!

Musa: Akhobantu!

Undi: You heard that?

I laughed, and put the bags on the counter, then I went to toss my bag on the couch because I had to return outside and fetch more bags. Sim was followed by Kamva, I went to fetch the bags they had left behind and bumped onto Kamva on her way out.

Kamva: Bye bye'ini.

Me: Sure.

I closed the door, and went to look for mom.

Found her cooped up in a couch with all of her kids on her, except for me of course.

Undi: Nanku mamakho ke.

Me: Niyamsinda umntana ka Vuyisile.

Undi: Si right nje.

He said that rolling his eyes at me, Musa laughed. I just shook my head, grabbed my bag and went to my room. There were no changes, mom was just going to use Granddad's room and we were going to use our old rooms. I spent three hours on the phone with my girlfriend, we were doing homework, helping each other, and then when I was done I went to look for food. As I approached the kitchen I heard a familiar chattering and laughter...

Me: Uhm... molweni ma?

She smiled, and opened her arms for a hug. Musa was smiling from ear to ear... her old friend "Mam'Gladys" was back. Well, she was granddad's old girlfriend.

Me: Ah, Mumu must be ecstatic!

Musa: What's that?

Me: It another word for happy.

Musa: You should have just said that, yho!

We laughed at her.

They were baking. Obviously.

I had initially gone there to look for food but I knew better than to be a nuisance in the kitchen when they were baking so I grabbed bottled water and went to look for Sim and Mom. Undi was watching YouTube on the floor lying on his back while his mother and big sister cuddled on the couch above him.

Me: And then?

I asked stealing a quick look at the kitchen.

Mom: She saw the windows open and she came in, you know Musa is in another world ke. She didn't even wait for us to catch up wamtsalela e kitchen.

Me: Yho umama wabantu.

Sim: I was suggesting kumama that u mam'G asose esiba yi House Manager yethu.

Mom: You guys don't need a house manager, and besides, you have occupied all the rooms endlini. Uzohlalaphi u mam'Gladys?

Sim: There are enough rooms here...

Me: She means back home... emzini wakhe... where we actually live.

Sim: You really think we're going back there mama?

Mom: Haibo, ndishiye indodam pha. Nicing'ba sizohlala apha forever nina?

Sim: Hayini umzali!

Me: We did say this is a temporal move ke kodwa Sim... and we cannot expect umama to just decide on leaving umzi wakhe overnight. That would be unfair from our side.

She rolled her eyes... sulking.

Mom: Princess?

Sim: Okay fine, can Mam'Gee stay as long as we are here ke? Like, she makes Musa happy and I know when Musa is happy, Undi will adapt.

Mom: I will ask her... but... be open-minded. She is just being kind today, and maybe she also just missed this place. Seeing her in that kitchen doesn't mean she is desperate or she has nothing to do.

Sim: Noted.

Me: And please DO NOT MANIPULATE HER Simbongile!

Sim: Ungandidiki mna... khona ubumxelele umama ba une cherry? Not lena siyaziyo?

I cursed under my breath.

That was dirty!

Mom: Shaniqua? Yup I know about her.

Me: Whoah wait, I never told you her name.

Mom: I'm your mom Siya.

Me: Yes you are my mother bu- yho ha.a you are sneaky sisi, nentombi yakho ngapha koko.

Sim was in stitches kuhleka.

Mom: Utsho ukuba ufuna siphindeni sibene sex-talk session.

Me: No please, yho. I know you are not ready to be a grandmother. Umncinci too much.

Mom: You better remember that. Nawe hlekayo.

Sim: I am not sexually active sisi, hol'it right there!

Me: But you're planning to be... soon... On second thoughts, maybe we do need another sex-talk session mama. Uyandoyikisa lo nalakwekwe yakhe ise Durban. If you're careful enough you will have a grandchild.... Imagine your daughter falling pregnant at the same age as you.... eew, a weird generational nton-ntoni!

Sim: SIYAMBONGA NTABENIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!

I laughed and walked away from her flushed cheeks.

She didn't have to bring up the girlfriend conversation... that was payback!