Chapter Twenty-Four

-Simbongile Princess Ntabeni-

The following morning we woke up very early...
We packed iimpahla first, and then a truck came to fetch our beds and other furniture that we were going to need at the new home. Siya, the man of the house, was the one going up and down with the drivers while Musa and Undi played in the background mna no Mama making sure that everything is ready for transportation. Around 8 pm, we were done. We just needed to make time to go back and clean the house, make sure that there was nothing of sentimental value that we had left behind and then have it listed for Airbnb. As agreed.

Bhuti bought Nandos family meal, and we had dinner around 10 pm and went to our separate rooms. My bed wasn't even ready, it was still standing against the wall and because I was tired, I decided to go camp in one of my siblings' rooms. I knocked on Junior's door, there was no answer so I just pushed the door open and found the room empty. Well, empty of him, but scattered with his belongings. I chuckled, and went to the kids room...

Me: Mh, niya camp'isha nina and I wasn't invited.
Musa: You can share my bed if you want.
Me: Thank you Mumu.

I shut the door, removed my sleepers and got in bed next to her.
Her sheets had this beautiful smell and soft feel to them, like they were new or they had recently been washed. Their room was already fixed because mom was fixing it for them. After some time, I thought they were sleeping, Siya spoke up.

Siya: This reminds me of that home we were taken to when your dad had mom arrested.
Me: eKungomusa.
Siya: Yeah.
Me: That was the only time we had to share our beds, and fight for them. I hope we never have to experience that ever again. I can't even imagine the trauma and nightmares these two went through.
Siya: Maybe umama should take us all for therapy yazi, including you.
Me: Yeah...
Siya: And ke we could only experience that again if KG's mom decides she wants her family back, nalapho nje kuba singekafiki kwi eighteen. The minute we are eighteen then we are adults, we can take care of ourselves in our own home.
Me: I heard she's married nje naye, and why would she come back now after all these years? Ubhuti dated umama even before Undi was born, wayephi ngoko umama ka Kamva? If she comes back now, uzothi ebemyekele ntoni iminyaka le?
Siya: You cannot question into ongayaziyo, we don't know what happened between them and as much as ubhuti looks like he's committed to umama things could change now that KG is here.

I didn't respond.
I was trying to gather the right words and not sound condescending in any way.

Me: I feel like we could get along with KG yazi... I noticed how we kind of have the similar style.
Siya: But?
Me: But, she needs therapy Siya. Like, a lot is going on kuye but I don't know how to even start the conversation naye. It's like she's... it's like she's got a lot of baggage man. I don't know how else to describe this to you.
Siya: Mbasele impepho abe right.
Me: That's not how you fix problems... worse ezipakishiweyo.
Siya: Then bring her close and work your magic Sim, nibe ngo bestie. Simple.
Me: Uyadika shame xa uthanda mntaka Bonga, and'funungatsho.

He just laughed and mized me.

****
The following morning I woke up before them and went to fix up my room. Qhamani video-called around 12 pm and I put him on speaker since I was moving up and down.

Me: Baby?
Qhamani: Awu busy, wenzani?
Me: I'm okay mfethu, we moved kaloku so I am now fixing my room.
Qhamani: Yho... uphi u Siya angakuncedisi?
Me: Bendimshiye elele... but he's probably fixing his own room too.

Sancokola until I was done folding my wardrobe.
Then I went to fix my meditation room, he was still on the line. Kamva knocked and came in without waiting for a response...

Kamva: Hey Sim, can you please borrow me the broom?
Me: Sure.

She took it, and walked towards the door then turned towards where the phone was.

Kamva: Oh, hi Q.
Qhamani: Kamva, hey, u grand?
Kamva: I'm good chomi u grand wena?
Qhamani: Super!
Kamva: Uyabuya ngo June?
Qhamani: No ma'am, ku busy this side.
Kamva: Yho, shame u Sim uzoba lonely nange holidays. Ngaske abonwe ngomnye umntu ushiywe uthi saa!
Qhamani: Andiyiyo nala type ishiyekayo mna, umntu obefunwe ndim oyokwehlukana nam mhla ndayeka ukumfuna. Uyayazi no sister wakho lonto, andizova ngaye kodwa wayefunwe ndim.

They laughed, and she said her goodbyes and walked out. I was dead tired, so I lay on my back and finished off the call.

Me: It's been three house bro, I am hungry. Bye bye?
Qhamani: You know you can go and fetch or make your food ubuyele eroomini yakho so we can continue talking... right?
Me: I know that qha ndidiniwe.
Qhamani: Udinwe ndim kengoku?

I shook my head.

Qhamani: Go and make yourself food ke.

I got up, put my earphones on and chucked the phone into my pocket as I went to the kitchen. The kids were playing outside, Siya was busy fixing the swing and bhuti was washing the two cars. Mom was in the kitchen with Kamva... Kamva was baking, mom was cooking something. I would have thought Musa would be jumping for joy xa ebona umntu obhakayo since she loved that. But I didn't ask...

Me: Molweni...
Mom: Hey, you're finally up.
Me: I've been up, I was just fixing my rooms.
Mom: Oh, your breakfast is in the microwave.
Me: Thank you.

I had one earphone on... but I knew Qhamani could hear everything.

Qhamani: Khand'bulisele ku Sbosh kaloku.

I laughed at "Sbosh" as I warmed my food and ignored him, mom frowned at me and I just shrugged.

Qhamani: Baby?
Me: Mh?
Qhamani: Bulisa ku mamakho.
Me: Andifuni.

Mom stopped and looked at me, I laughed again because I now had to explain ba ndithetha nabani.

Mom: Are you on a call?
Me: Yeah, uyabulisa u Qhamani.
Mom: Heee, molo wethu Qhamani. Ubuya nini?
Qhamani: You can take me out of your pocket ke so that ndiziphendulele. Unayo lento yocing'ba ndithandwa nguwe wedwa futhi wena.

I obliged, gave her the phone and she laughed upon seeing his face.