i | maze of treachery

AWAE | THE NEW CUTHBERTseason one - episode zero" maze of treachery "

season one - episode zero
" maze of treachery "

"sam!" madeline said excitedly, wrapping her arms around her friend.

"hello, maddie. how are you? i missed you over the break." samantha replied back.

"oh, you know. the same as usual." the redhead smiled, linking arms with the girl as she led her into the classroom. they sat down at their usual table, three rows back, and waved at their two friends from across the room.

"sam, i wish i looked like you. i just want bennie to look at me the way he does you." maddie said in awe, staring half at sam and half at said boy beyond her.

"what? first off, he does not look at me. and second, i'm sure if you told him how you feel, he would feel the same."

"but we've been friends for so long. i don't want to ruin things."

"then don't." maddie was obviously dissatisfied with this answer. "i'm serious. just tell him how you feel, and see if he feels the same. if not, then just say there's no hard feelings and move on. if he does, then you have yourself a boy who likes you." sam smiled at her friend, who rolled her eyes in return.

before their conversation could continue, however, the professor stepped into the room and began his lesson, cutting the chatter in the room with his booming voice.

later that day, samantha was walking home with maddie, as a familiar girl came running through the forest. "tawny?" sam asked, surprised to see the girl out alone at this time, let alone running.

"sam! it's the house. there's someone inside. someone's going through and breaking everything. i was coming back from the market when i heard them yelling. come on, we need to get back." tawny immediately turned around and headed straight back the way she came.

"maddie, go tell your parents and see if they can help. i'm going to make sure tawny doesn't get hurt." and with that, the two girls separated.

"mother, father!" maddie yelled into the house, leaving the door open. she got no response, but continued to run throughout the home repeating the same two words. she stopped suddenly as she realized that today was the day that her parents were going to go out of town for a cousin's wedding.

she fell to her knees, not knowing what she was going to do. suddenly, she heard a knock at her door. she turned and hurriedly opened it, revealing anthony and benedict. she rushed to hug them, to which they responded very surprised, but returned nonetheless.

"come, samantha and tawny need our help. someone is in their home. ant, go get your parents, bennie and i will meet you at their house." anthony nodded and was quickly off.

as soon as madeline and benedict arrived, they knew they were no use. they came up behind the two girls, who turned and cried into their shoulders.

the smell of ash filled the air as anthony pulled into the stone driveway on one of his horses. his father jumped off the back of the animal, his sons soon joining.