Chapter 3: The Garden Story

In the late hours of the morning, Colin entered the quiet living room of the Bridgerton house, where he found Benedict and Eloise. His older brother was slumped on one of the sofas, his head rolled back and his arm dramatically draped over his eyes, while his younger sister, sitting opposite him, turned the page of a book that she had rested on her lap.

"Good morning, brother!" Eloise cheerily called to him at an unnecessarily loud volume.

Benedict winced and groaned, eliciting a chuckle out of his satisfied sister.

Colin smirked and sat beside Benedict.

"Good morning to you too, Eloise!" Colin greeted, though he spoke looking at his hungover older brother, who was now rubbing his temples.

Benedict readjusted how he sat, now in a more upright position. He rested his elbow on the arm of the sofa and propped up his head with his hand.

"I am aware that you both delight in tormenting me," he said. "But, I ask that you refrain from speaking so loudly. I've had quite enough shouting this morning from Anthony's furious lecture."

"He was understandably frustrated." Eloise shrugged. "I too would be seething if I had to drag you all the way to the carriage, in front of most of the ton, mind you, and carry you up to your bedroom."

"Not to mention you vomited on his shoes." Colin added with a smirk.

"That was rather amusing." Eloise smirked. "Though, I was not the one on the receiving end of your almighty spewing..."

"Well, there's nothing fun about vomiting, but I suppose, if there were, it would be doing it all over Anthony's feet." Benedict admitted with a faint smile.

Eloise and Colin laughed.

There was a pleasant lull in the conversation, much to Benedict's delight, but (soberly) seeing his brother for the first time since the ball reignited his curiosity from the night prior. He looked over at Colin.

"I couldn't help but notice your absence shortly after we arrived, brother." Benedict said ponderingly. "In fact, I believe you headed straight back outside."

Colin looked over at him quite abruptly, his eyes widened. Eloise leaned forward curiously, eyes narrowed in intrigue.

"I was feeling unwell." Colin tried.

"You were feeling unwell?" Eloise remarked incredulously. "Don't mistake this as a compliment, but I think you appeared perfectly well last night."

"Not when he returned from his little adventure in the garden." Benedict countered. "I recall him looking unwell then."

Eloise looked off thoughtfully, her brows knitted as she stroked her chin. Her face then formed an expression of realisation.

"Come to think of it, you did appear somewhat out of character last night." Eloise agreed.

Colin's face flushed and he looked between his expectant siblings. Could he really tell them? He knew so much as mentioning Penelope's name would earn him a glare from Eloise, and the story itself would elicit taunting from Benedict.

"Correct me if I'm mistaken, brother," Benedict began with a grin. "But, I believe I saw you follow Penelope Featherington into the garden."

He'd known where this was going to go all along, hadn't he?

"Oh, lord ..." Eloise groaned.

He went to open his mouth- to say what, he was unsure. He didn't have to worry about saying anything though, as Anthony stormed into the living room. Colin would have been more happy to see him had he not worn such a tense expression.