Dance Captain

Richelle

I walk into studio A to get ready for rehearsal today.
I start to stretch, no one else is here yet which isn't surprising. When people do enter I'm surprised to see Summer and Lola together. They're talking and laughing. I don't know why it's annoying me so much.

"Hi Richelle," Lola greets happily after entering. She comes to sit next to me while Summer is still putting her bag away.

"Hi Lola," I reply, happy as well. Her happiness is just infectious, sometimes when other people are too happy and bubbly all the time it's annoying, but with Lola it isn't. She's just too sweet to be annoyed with.

Luckily Henry's entered and started talking to Summer. It would've been awkward if she came over now.

"Are you excited for today?" Lola asks, bringing my attention back to her. We are having alternate auditions today and we are allowed to watch. It will be happening after rehearsal, so we can leave if we want to.

"Yes I'm really excited. I hope all the dancers are good. Are you staying?" I ask.

"Yeah. I do too. I do feel a bit bad though." I look at her confused. "I left for a while and I'm taking this spot from B-troupers who could've wanted it."

"Don't worry about that. Emily decided she wants you on the team. Not any B-troupers so that's not your problem."

"I guess you're right."

Everyone else starts to slowly make their way in. Amy arrives talking to Piper first, it's still weird to have her back. It's great obviously, she's an amazing dancer, but it is still strange.

After them Ozzy and Kingston enter, Finn, and then Kenzie. Kenzie comes to sit with us, setting her bag on the floor.

"I don't think I've actually talked to you, the dance you did the other day was amazing though," Kenzie talks to Lola. The dance she is referencing is the hip hop solo Lola performed when we were early for rehearsal yesterday.

"Thank you, I'm Lola. You're Kenzie right?" She asks.

"Yes, and no problem. I think you're the first person I haven't seen Richelle glare at," Kenzie says, happily. I glare at her.

"Well we are bffs. It wouldn't be very nice of her." Lola smiles at me.

"Wow even Jacquie never got that title." Kenzie raises her eyebrows at me.

"Yes cause I didn't like Jacquie," I respond, it's not true I just don't really want to think about her. We had a fight a couple weeks ago and we haven't talked since.

"Right of course."

Lola seems confused by this, but I guess Jacquie and I didn't talk when she was around. I keep forgetting how much she's missed.

Eventually, Emily enters the studio. Everyone is here now so we can begin.

"Okay everyone, Nationals is a long way away but it will come around quickly so we have to be prepared. First I will be giving you your new line placements. These could change depending on the choreography of the group dance.

For our back row we have: Finn, Kenzie, Kingston, and Lola." I look at Lola sadly. I know she's technically new to the team but she's such a good dancer.

"For our middle row we have: Henry, Amy, and Ozzy.

For our front row we have: Piper to the left, Summer to the right, and Richelle in middle." I try to keep my excitement hidden. Hopefully being front and centre makes me one step closer to Miss National Soloist and dance captain.