♦ 015 ♦

The Goblet of Fire

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Every head in the Great Hall had turned to look at Harry. There was no applause. A buzzing, as though of angry bees, was starting to fill the Hall. Some students were standing up to get a better look at Harry as he sat, frozen, in his seat.

Up at the top table, Professor McGonagall had got to her feet and swept past Ludo Bagman and Professor Karkaroff to whisper urgently to Professor Dumbledore, who bent his ear toward her, frowning slightly.

Harry turned to Cassie, Ron and Hermione. Beyond them, the long Gryffindor table all watching him, openmouthed.

"I didn't put my name in," Harry said blankly. "You know I didn't." Both of them stared just as blankly back but Cassie nodded.

"I believe you," she said as Harry sent her a very weak smile.

At the top table, Professor Dumbledore had straightened up, nodding to Professor McGonagall.

"Harry Potter!" he called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"

"Go on," Harper whispered, giving Harry a slight push.

Harry got to his feet, trod on the hem of his robes, and stumbled slightly. He set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables. The buzzing grew louder and louder. After what seemed like an hour, he was right in front of Dumbledore, feeling the stares of all the teachers upon him.

"Well, through the door, Harry," said Dumbledore. He wasn't smiling.

Harry moved off along the teachers' table. Hagrid was seated right at the end. He did not wink at Harry, or wave, or give any of his usual signs of greeting. He looked completely astonished and stared at Harry as he passed like everyone else. Harry went through the door out of the Great Hall and the second he left, the Great Hall burst into chatter.

"Everybody will go back to their common rooms, immediately!" Dumbledore said loudly before he, Mr. Crouch, Professor Karkaroff, Madame Maxime, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Snape followed after Harry.

"How did he do it?" Ron said bitterly as he, Harper, Hermione, Fred, George and Lee followed the Gryffindors back to the Gryffindor common room.

"You can't be serious?" Harper asked in disbelief. "You seriously think Harry actually entered?"

"How else did his name come out of that bloody thing?" Ron asked, his voice filled with anger.

"I can't believe you," Cassie said in shock, "he is your best friend Ron! You're meant to stick by his side!"

"Yeah, well he didn't even tell his best friend," he said, raising his voice, "he just wants the attention Cassie, because that's all he wants, but you're too much of a dumb blonde to notice that!" Cassie stared at Ron in disbelief.

"You're lucky I don't punch you right now," the blonde hissed before she walked past Ron, barging her shoulder with his, hard.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

"Hey Harry," Cassie said the next morning when she met Harry in the common room, "fancy going for a walk?"

"Good idea," said Harry.

They went downstairs, crossed the entrance hall quickly without looking in at the Great Hall, and were soon striding across the lawn toward the lake, where the Durmstrang ship was moored, reflected blackly in the water. It was a chilly morning, and they kept moving, munching their toast, as Harry told Cassie exactly what had happened after he had left the Gryffindor table the night before.