Social Media Today

Telecommunications industry has evolved through time. Along with this emerge social media networking which evolves faster in each succeeding years.  As a telecommunications company ourselves, XL Axiata, a sister company of Axis Capital Group based in Jakarta, Indonesia we have witnessed the increasing growth of technology and internet. One of our most populous markets is youths. With the turn of century, old people have also adapted to the use of social media. Here is the review on the current status of social media in our society: 

Facebook is Becoming Popular among seniors 

Ten years ago, Facebook launched as a network strictly for college students. However, in 2014 more than half of online adults 65 and over are now using Facebook. 

Millennials Love Instagram 

Results from the report indicate that even if millennials may not be using Facebook as much as before, they have increased usage of the Facebook-owned social network, Instagram. Last year marked the first year that half of online adults' ages 18-29 used Instagram. Additionally, more than half of Instagram users this age are using the site every day. 

LinkedIn Usage Increases among College Educated 

It's probably not surprising that the colleges educated are increasingly joining a career-themed social network. Last year marked the first time that half of internet users with a college education were using LinkedIn. 

Women Dominate Pinterest 

Perhaps the least surprising finding is the gender distribution among Pinterest users. Data from the report indicate that 42 percent of women using the internet also use Pinterest. Conversely, only 13 percent of online men reported using the social networking site. 

What is Driving Us? Anxiety or Pleasure? 

Is it because of peer pressure that people are into social media or is it because of our own personal desire to belong? The virtual world is sometimes an outlet for people who do not express themselves much with other people. With the increase of virtual population, a lot of scams have also emerged, making it one the most dangerous place to be. Despite that, people cannot be kept from visiting social media networks. The question you might want to ask yourself is: how much do you feel you "check in" with your virtual world due to wanting to feel good about what you will find there or making sure that you are not missing out on something important going on that you were privy to? From observation alone I would guess that if you are, say, under 35 or 40 you are probably driven by anxiety more than pleasure, particularly when it comes to social media.