Ryo Kurokiba: Making Promises

It was your first year at Totsuki Academy in the High school Division. You had a live for cooking and everything about it. But after the first few months of attending Totsuki you fell ill of a lung disease, so you had to stay in the hospital the whole year.

Thankfully whenever you were in the hospital, you were never alone because your boyfriend Ryo Kurokiba was always with you.

Before you and Ryo started dating you both were just close friends, and both met through your best friend Alice Nakiri. After a year of knowing each other she ended up convincing Ryo to ask you out due to him and you telling Alice that you guys like each other. Since Ryo asked you out, you said yes to him and then after all the events that have happened, the two of you started dating.

But after a few months you found out that you have developed a lung disease and that you would need to stay in the hospital for a while. And by a while it meant by being there until you were able to get a get of lungs. Which took a very long time. Which means that you had to stay at the hospital for many months until you fully recovered.

One day while you were bedridden in bed at the hospital, Ryo came to visit you to see how you're doing.

"Ryo, let's break up," you say to him while keeping your head down.

Ryo turned around to look at you. "Why are you saying stuff like that (y/n)?" He asks with a shocked look on his face.

"I'm grateful to you, thank you for being with me till the very end," you say to him. "And just remember that I'll always love you," you add while tears were streaming down your cheeks.

Ryo just looked at you with shock, but then after a few minutes Ryo turned around and left the room not saying a word.

The truth is that when you were having a conversation with your doctor, he came out and said to you that there is in fact no cure for your disease. Meaning that your days will be numbered from now on.

And you didn't want to die in front of Ryo. You didn't want him to know that you'll be dying someday. You didn't face him with tears in his eyes while you were heaven. Even though you took all of the medicine the docters prescripted you, it still wasn't enough to keep you alive.

Finding that out made you depressed. Because you wouldn't be able to be held in Ryo's arms any longer. Most importantly you thought Ryo and how he would feel. If you ever told him about what was going on, then he would be overworking himself to the bone, trying to do his best to keep you alive. You knew for a fact that Ryo had an undying love for you that will never fade away. 

A couple days after breaking up with Ryo, you decided to write him a letter. Telling him about the disease you have, and that your days will unfortunately be numbered. After finishing the letter you sealed it into an envelope and asked your parents to deliver it to the post office. And that was last time you have ever seen your parents. 

When the letter got delivered to Ryo, he read it, but with a shocked look on his face. When reading it he found out about your passing. After finding out about your passing he immediately rushed over to the hospital to see if you weren't lying in the letter. When he made it to the hospital a shocked look was printed on his face.

"(Y/n)..." He said after finding you on your hospital bed, dead and not breathing. "Why?  Why didn't you tell me?" He added after walking up to you and letting his own tears drip onto your face.

Your parents noticed that Ryo was on the room and they apologized to him about Ryo not finding out you dying.

--

It was the day of your funeral and all of the friends you had at Totsuki come. But the there was one person who didn't come in particular, it was Ryo.

Alice was pretty disappointed about him not going, but he was the most broken out of everyone because he loved you much with all of his heart. After finding out about your death, Ryo kept rereading the letter you sent him. He even had many flashbacks about you two being happy together, making each other promises.

-flashback-

It was a typical day at Totsuki Academy and you were with Ryo having a small little lunch date. While on your date you decided to ask him a question. Regarding your future.

"Hey Ryo," you say to him, having him turn his head to you. "Do you ever think about the future?" You ask with curiosity.

"Yeah I do," he replies with a straight face.

"Well that's good. But do you want to know what I always think about when it comes to my future?" You ask again.

"Yeah sure, what do you think about?" He replies with a responding question.

"I think about you," you reply, making him react with a slight blush on his face. Also making him have a shocked look. "You are my future Ryo. My heart will always be with you no matter what happens," you add but with a big smile on your face.

"Just make sure not to see anyone else okay, because after when we graduate I'm the one who will be putting on your finger," he mumbles.

"What was that?" You ask him.

"Nothing, it's just I love you," he replies back to you, making you blush like crazy.

"I love you more Ryo," you say to him while cupping his cheeks and kissing his soft lips. "You better the person to put that ring on my finger when we graduate okay? Promise me that," you say.

"I never break a promise to you," he replies. "So you better stay with me till the very end," he adds in response.

-End of flashback-

Instead of going to your funeral Ryo was just lying down in his bedroom. Having a look of disbelief on his face. Shocked about the fact that he couldn't do anything about your death. But most of all he was shocked at how he couldn't say 'i love you' one last time before your passing.

While lying down in his bed, Alice later on showed up to his room and and ordered him to go to your gravestone and tell you about that was going on. And surprisingly he obeyed and went to go see you. When he made it to your gravestone, he obviously mentioned the letter.

"(Y/n)... Why didn't you tell me about you dying?" He started off saying. "You could've told me about it and I wouldn't be this broken up until now," Ryo then started crying after seeing your grave.

But what crushed him the most, was what he was about to say next. "Without you I'm broken," he said with despair and within seconds he said his next sentence. "But what  broke me the most about your death, was that I never had the chance to tell you how much I loved you," he added.

"But most importantly I never had the chance to marry you," he said after clenching his fists with his hands while holding the letter.