Chapter 7~ Promises

Chapter 7

The whole situation felt hellish as Murat tried to stop the shaking of his legs and the negativity of his thoughts. It felt like forever before the doctor came out after diagnosing Hayat and Murat ran to her. "All three of them are fine," the doctor said as she patted his back, seeing him in a desolate state. Murat thanked the heavens and suddenly something struck him, "all three of them?" "Oh yes! You're going to have twins. I'll do Hayat's ultrasound tomorrow, you will see them yourself." Happy was not a sufficient expression to explain what Murat felt in that moment. He would have lifted Hayat in his arms if she was there. "I cannot wait for tomorrow! Can you tell me what happened to Hayat? Why was she in so much pain?" "It was a contraction that usually happens in stressed pregnancies. She bled a little, which is not an ideal case. You will have to take good care of her, Mr. Sarsilmaz. Pregnancy is very crucial, especially the first one. The psychological stress can affect the physical health of the mother and baby. Was she stressed about something?" Murat struggled to find words and managed to get away with, "Yes, she was. I think she is concerned about the baby. Can I see her now? Is she still in pain?" The doctor allowed him to go in even though Hayat was unconscious due to the effects of medicines. He tiptoed his way through the visitor's chair right beside Hayat's bed but did not sit on that. He did not want to be away from her, even some feet. He sat in bed and started caressing her hair. "I am so grateful to have you in my life, Hayatim. I wish I could share your pain. But I am sure you will start dancing with joy the moment you'll know about our twins. I feel like I'm the happiest man alive. Please wake up." At that moment, he wanted to take her to a solitary place, where there will be no Didem, no stress, just them. He runs his hand through her tummy, "my babies, I love you so much. I can't explain how happy you've made me. Just try to be a bit gentle with your annem. We'll trouble her a lot when you're out in the world." He falls asleep next to Hayat while talking to the babies.

Hayat woke up before him, but before she could process what was happening, the nurse opened the door and saw them lying together. She smiled at Hayat and gestured to her to confirm that everything was fine. She wanted to feel her baby so she put her hand on her tummy and realised that Murat's hand was already resting there. She holds his hand which wakes him up. "Ahh Hayat! How are you feeling, aşkım? I don't know when I dozed off." "I am absolutely fine now, aşkım." "You must be very hungry, right? I'll go get you something to eat, besides, you now have a very strong argument to justify your appetite." His remark and smirk confused her. "What are you saying? I can't process anything, Murat!" "I mean you'll be eating for three now." "Why? Won't you eat?" she asked confusedly. "Of course I'll be eating; I'm starving" he couldn't help laughing, seeing her confused. "Murat! Do you want me to push you down from this bed? Or would you tell me what's all this about?" "Canim, we are going to have twins." She just kept looking at his face, in disbelief. "We what? Oh my god!!" They hugged each other and she kept saying "I can't believe this? How is this possible? I'm so happy." "Do you want to know how it is possible?" He was ready to get a sweet punch from her when he said this and she hit him a bit harder. "Sus!" "Okay! But why are you not looking up?" "I am feeling shy. Sus yaa!"---- "Ahmm" their moment was broken by the arrival of the doctor. "How is the beautiful lady feeling?" "I feel exhilarated," Hayat chirped. "So he told you about the twins. We have some time before I do your ultrasound. You can take a stroll out in the park downstairs. And don't let her exhaust herself," she smiled at Murat and left the room. "Let's go get some fresh air, aşkım. I'm sick of this room," Hayat said, taking his hand. "I can do it myself, Murat, put me down" she kept repeating, though not quite assertively, until he made her jump the last step holding her up by waist. She liked it when he took extra care of her.

They were walking hand in hand when they saw an elderly couple sitting on one of the benches. The old man was feeding his wife who had the patients' gown on. "Would you take care of me like that, Murat? When we're old like them?" Hayat asked, still looking at the couple. "I will, till my last breath, Hayatim. Only we won't be at the hospital." He smiled at her and took her to a bench, "come sit, you must be tired." He gently took her hand so as not to hurt her where the drip was put. "So, Mr. Sarsilmaz, are you ready for the twins? How would we manage? What if they are stubborn like you?" "You mean stubborn like us?" Murat interrupted. "Tamam! And what about the shoes? We just bought one pair." "We'll have to buy another pair before you enter the labour delivery room," Murat could not help laughing. Hayat's concern about shoes reminded him of the dream he'd had and Hayat sensed it. She hit him with her elbow. She saw a child playing with a stray dog and said, "Murat, can we get a dog? Please!!!" She pleaded with her lower lip stuck out. "Really? I always wanted to pet a dog but could never manage to get one because I lived alone. I think we can consider having one now." "I love you, Murat." – "I love you more, Hayat! I felt lifeless when I saw you in that condition last night. I was so scared." They were lost in each other's eyes when a boy of about 6 years of age came running and handed Hayat a flower he had plucked from the garden. Hayat was shocked at first but then she gave him a big smile and he reverted with a huge grin. Murat kept on looking at them with an amused expression on his face. "Excuse me, little guy! She's my wife," he said with a confused smile. "Ah! I too have a girlfriend. I plucked this flower for her but since she was not here, I decided to give it to this beautiful girl," the child replied with a witty smirk on his face. "Ahh! Teşekkürler. You are so sweet. It is beautiful, he has not given me any flowers in a while," Hayat squeezed the little boy's cheeks and winked at Murat. "I will go now. My annem must be looking for me," the boy passed a flying kiss in Hayat's way and Murat laughed in amusement. They decided to go back to the room after making a call to Babannem.