King Thor

"Are we there yet?" Peter asked again.

"No, Peter," Bucky sighed, now the one riding with the young man. "But as I said last time, we are close."

Most of the group grew visibly weary as the journey neared its second full day. Nightfall threatened, and while Sam pondered stopping progress once again to camp out, they were so close to the capital they could almost taste the gilded gates of the palace. Civilization grew as the crew inched farther into Asgardian territory, with quaint villages spotting the countryside and eventually giving way to more populated towns.

Kate and Yelena, though tired as the rest of the group, would not have minded another night out in the wild, illuminated in the gentle glow of moonlight breaking through their canvas tent. Out in the wilderness, and beyond Galon's borders, Yelena held no authority, no responsibilities. She was not a princess in Asgard, and in turn, Kate was no knight. Of course, practically, the two still had duties, but the new scenery, and the new dynamic between them, was truly a breath of fresh air.

Even though the relationship between the two women, the knight and the princess, had taken a further step past platonic pining, not much changed. Except for Kate stealing kisses any time she could, Yelena openly voicing how stunning Kate was in her armor, and copious amounts of stolen glances and absentminded touches.

Once again behind Kate on their shared steed, Yelena kissed the cool metal of Kate's shoulder plate just because she could. From the outside, this jump into romance at a time of such turmoil, both personally and politically, may seem unwise. The blonde was a royal under attack, only an inch away from the throne, and possibly galloping into a war over the assassination of her parents. It should not have worked, she and Kate. They were from two different worlds, witnessed life through two different lenses, but somehow the two were kindred spirits, twin flames.

Yelena was inseparably tied to the other woman; you don't survive an assault on your home, your country, and have a relationship remain stagnant. It seemed that even through life's toughest offerings- war, peril, loss, violence, Fate only tugged the two closer, offering a respite from treacherous waters.

"Are you ready, my princess?" Kate asked as the paths underfoot turned to gold plated stone, trees trading places with buildings. "We must be almost there."

"What if he won't help us?"

"He must, Yelena. He is bound by his word."

"His word to my mother, maybe," she sighed, and Kate glanced back apologetically. "He owes nothing to me."

"Let's hope for the best. It's all we can do."

Peter cheered and Wanda nearly shed a tear as Asgard's capital city, Celestia, emerged in all of its gaudy, golden glory. Buildings taller than Kate could even imagine, nearly touching the heavens themselves, homes and businesses made of warm brown wood and yellow accents. Though it was evening, townsfolk still puttered about, sharing meals and mead in taverns nearly as numerous as the people themselves.

Before Kate had the chance to inquire where the palace was, a magnificent structure in the center of the city drew her eye. This truly was a palace fit for a king. Towers sloping like organ pipes, a massive draw bridge over the moat distancing it from the city, it was perhaps the second most beautiful thing Kate had ever seen.

The party made way for the palace, stopped only by a single guard at the gate of the draw bridge.

"State your name and business," said the guard, a tall, dark skinned man with striking kaleidoscopic eyes. Gazes turned to Yelena, and with an encouraging nod from Kate, she spoke, proudly and loudly.