A Night to Remember

"That is what you are wearing?" Yelena side eyed Kate's outfit- her usual silver armor, worn brown boots, and assorted weapons. "It's brave for a gala."

"I have to be ready for anything," Kate responded dutifully, adjusting her shoulder plate and assuring her cape hung satisfactorily. "I don't get the privilege of dressing up like you, Princess."

"I wouldn't call it a privilege." Yelena swung the partitioning curtain of her quarters open, revealing her deep crimson ballgown. Gold jewelry hung from her neck and her many piercings, glass high heels infused with flecks of gold finished finished off the ethereal look. "This dress is..."

"Incredible," Kate finished, mouth slightly agape.

"I was going to say scratchy, but I am killing it, aren't I?"

"Your confidence is admirable, really."

"As is my humility?"

"Why, of course."

Yelena chuckled easily, secretly ecstatic she would not have to attend another ball alone. Sure, she had acquaintances, children of other royals, various dukes and duchesses, but no friends, really. Except for Kate. When the brunette was a commoner, just the child of a knight, Yelena would have to sneak Kate in to parties, and the two would linger out of sight in dark corners or under buffet tables. Now, Kate was the princess's official guard, and nearly a Guild member. Kate could strut into the gala, tall and commanding as she was, with Yelena proudly on her arm.

"It'll be nice when you get your gold armor," Yelena mused, looking Kate up and down. "We'll match."

"Glad to hear you plan on keeping me around, Your Highness."

"Yes, well, who else do I have?" The blonde took Kate's arm, infectious smile impossible to keep from her lips. A celebration was exactly what Yelena needed right now, a distraction from her increasingly perilous royal existence. "Are you ready?"

Kate nodded, and the two made their way to the ballroom with throngs of other guests. The engagement of the future queen was a massive deal, after all, and given the circumstances, the nobles needed a reason to blow off a little steam. Perhaps tonight could be the start of a new era, a healing one, for Galon. Kate glanced down at Yelena beside her, golden hair intricately braided, jewelry gleaming, gorgeous gown flowing, and thought this could be a new era for the two of them as well.

Thinking back, ever being so nervous about reuniting with Yelena seemed silly to Kate. Now that the two had reconciled, the time apart evaporated, and Kate found herself melting back into the dynamic she and Yelena shared as children, though more mature now. The time apart served the two well, as Kate had grown less timid and more assertive through her training and solitary reflection, while Yelena outgrew her troublemaking and instead focused on her fiery persona on her kingdom and her duties. The pair truly were a force, and drew eyes as they entered the party.

A small string band played upbeat tunes from the corner of the ballroom, guests danced merrily, spinning and clapping and enjoying the revelry. Mead and wine flowed freely, nearly every attendant clutched a glass or a mug. Lining the walls were tables covered end to end in decadent fruits and cheeses. And in the middle of it all, the couple of the hour danced happily. Natasha twirled Wanda and dipped her, which drew hearty cheers from the crowd.

"What now?" Kate asked, overwhelmed by the sheer amount of activity in one space. "I haven't been to one of these in some time, I'm out of practice."

Yelena smiled at her inexperienced companion. "You find us a quiet corner to escape to, I'll get us some drinks."

Within seconds, Yelena dissolved into the mass of dancing and laughing partygoers. Nervous to lose sight of the princess, Kate focused on her advice and scouted a quiet area, which was quite the undertaking in an environment this boisterous. The best Kate could do was stand awkwardly behind a table covered in cheese next to a tall blonde man in pale gold armor.