Wolf and Raven

As Kate dismounted her horse and approached the humble cottage, her stomach growled loudly, reminding her of its existence. The thought of a hot meal almost forced her to sprint and bang on the door, but Kate retained enough humanity to help Yelena down and walk her to the door.

"Sam Wilson!" Kate called from just outside. "You better have some fresh eggs and mead in there!"

On hearing the young knight's voice, Sam opened his cottage door, shocked. "My, my, Kate Bishop. What in the world are you doing back here so soon?"

"Long story, but I brought company."

"I see. You've brought your girlfriend home?"

"Sam!" Kate protested as Yelena chuckled, happy to be treated as just another person instead of revered as a noble. "This is Princess Yelena."

"Oh, my apologies." Sam's smile faded as he noticed the haggard state of the two, with Kate's bruised face and crudely bandaged thigh, Yelena's one shoe and torn gown. "What's happened? I'm getting the sense this isn't a vacation."

Opening the door wider, the three entered the cottage and Sam got to work. He quickly plated slices of freshly baked bread and cheese before taking a closer look at Kate's arrow wound, all while the young knight recounted the events of the ball and their journey since.

"Has anyone heard from Clint?" Kate asked as she finished her tale, wincing as Sam cleaned and redressed her wound.

"No, I'm sorry, kid. This is the first I'm hearing of any of this, which is actually a good sign. If Aram had fallen I think we would have gotten word by now."

Kate nodded, disappointed but not fully discouraged. "You'll keep watch for one of his hawks, though?"

"Always do."

"What hawks?" Yelena asked, cheese smeared on her chin as she ravenously inhaled the modest meal.

"Clint's fleet of messenger hawks. That crazy old bird man," Kate chuckled, tenderly wiping the dab of cheese off of Yelena's face. "He's got about ten of them. Kind of how the place got its name."

The cottage door opened again, and in stepped a tall, strong man with shaggy dark hair. He was draped in furs and lithe leather armor fit for hunting. He greeted Sam upon entry, confusion and delight crossing his face as he saw the two young women.

"We got visitors, Buck," Sam said, preparing a meal for him as well.

"I see that," Bucky said, kissing Sam briefly before plopping down at the table next to Kate. "What happened to you, kid? You get kicked out of the capital for fighting or what?"

"That's not that far off," Kate responded, fingers dancing across her cheekbone's sprawling bruises. "Now I wish I would've waited to tell the story."

"Eh, just give me a brief rundown."

"My sister's fiancée's brother tried to kill us," Yelena deadpanned, and Bucky's eyebrows rose.

"Well, shit. Sorry about that." The man glanced out the open window. "That your horse out there?"

"It is now," Kate answered.

Bucky sat up, eyeing Yelena. "You okay?"

"Hm?" The blonde sputtered briefly, surprised at being directly addressed. "Yes, I think. Not dead and not injured, so..."

"Good." Bucky stood, taking his hunk of bread with him. "Hey, Sam, let's get that stallion to the stables, feed him some apples."

Sam agreed, and the men took their leave. Kate stood and collected the used dishes from the rickety table before offering a hand to the princess, saying, "why don't we get you some fresh clothes?"