6

"I can't believe you forgot to propose to her, dumb Shikamaru!" Ino yells after him as they walk down the street, back from their mission in Kumogakure.

The wind is howling by now and there's a storm brewing in the background, which just means they should get home soon.

"I couldn't help it! We were busy with so many things. Not to mention she's weak and throwing up all day long. A proposal is the last thing on my mind. Especially not now." Shikamaru complains.

Ino huffs, clearly annoyed at her childhood best friend. On the other hand, Chouji is walking happily, carries a bento box. Karui from Kumogakure packs him some handmade gyoza, and he loves her cooking so much.

"Besides, I'm not sure she wants to get married. I know her, she is a free bird" Shikamaru mutters under his breath.
He turns around to face his friend who's following behind him and raises an eyebrow.

"Excuse me? Aren't you the genious one here? Can't you see she's head over heels for you?"

Shikamaru sighs, "I don't even know why she fell in love with me. And why does everyone keep talking about that stupid proposal anyway? It's only a year since we've gotten together. It's not like Temari is elated to spent the rest of her life with someone like me"
His voice is filled with bitterness, and Ino has to refrain herself from rolling her eyes.

She knows Shikamaru has had some tough experiences in the past, but no one thought it was possible he would still suffer such pain when it came to relationships.

Shikamaru stops walking, causing Ino to stumble and bump into him. She looks up, confused, and sees that they have arrived at Shikamaru's apartment building.

Shikamaru takes out his keys and say, "I'm going in. You two should rest too. Goodbye"

He unlocks the door and walks inside the building, ignoring Ino's shout of 'you moron' which follows after him.

Shikamaru goes straight upstairs to his room and locks himself inside. He stares at the ceiling for awhile, thinking about what happened earlier.

It didn't take long for him to notice that Temari's in the bathroom. She's coughing and gasping, barely able to breath. He quickly gets up and opens the door, "Temari, are you okay?"

Her eyes widen, she tries to breathe, but only coughs more. She shakes her head, trying to explain something through her painful wheezes, "It's getting worse"

Shikamaru feels bad and patting her back gently while Temari vomited again.

"I'm sorry. It's all because of me you became like this. I wish i could take your place" He whispers quietly. His hands trembling.
Temari's breathing gets more labored and she closes her eyes.
"It's not your fault" She shakes her head.

Her words are barely understandable but it's obvious she's trying to convince Shikamaru. She grabs his arm and pulls herself up, taking a few shaky steps. She manages to make it onto his bed and lies down. She starts coughing again and Shikamaru immediately kneels in front of her, trying to wipe the tears from her cheeks and rub small circles on her back.

He also knows that he needs to talk to her right away. This is serious. It doesn't matter if she doesn't want to marry him or get married. At least he should try.

"Shika" She says between heavy breathes, and he looks at her eyes.

Maybe he'll be lucky. Maybe everything will work out, somehow.
Maybe he'll finally find the courage to ask her to marry him.

He sits on the bed next to Temari and puts his hand on top of hers. Her grip tightens when he lays his hand on top of hers and they stare into each other's eyes. The silence is awkward and tense but neither of them dare break it. They're both afraid to do anything that might hurt the other.