12 - Red For All the Wrong Reasons

Just an FYI, there is a Trigger Warning somewhere in the middle of this chapter. Please look for the ⚠️ sign for a heads up! 

🏎 Miami Grand Prix, Florida 🏎 

Dakota's POV

"Lando! Lando over here!"

"Yes, yes, I hear you," Lando muttered, maintaining a grin on his face as he turned to wave at the fans. 

I chuckled as the fans cheered even louder when he acknowledged them. 

The sun was beating down on us and the humidity was making it feel ten times hotter. I hated Miami for that reason and couldn't wait for the sun to go down. 

Lando had quite a few things lined up for him this weekend, including several track runs in the McLaren road cars. 

"Busy day ahead Norris. I hope you had a good nights sleep," I said. 

"Well, I was playing WarZone so if that tells you anything..." he trailed off. 

What he was trying to say was that he had stayed up till who knows when and gotten very little sleep.

"When will you learn?" I sighed, shaking my head as we parted ways. 

"Bye! See you in a bit!"

"Don't crash anything!"

"No promises!" Lando called over his shoulder, making me chuckle. 

I hitched my bag higher up my shoulder and glanced around. Slipping my shades onto my nose, I took a detour towards Alessandro's garage. 

I went in through the back door, hoping nobody noticed the bright orange in the crowd of red. 

I was almost to his driver room when a voice called out. 

"Excuse me, you're not allowed in here."

"Oh I'm jus-"

"She's with me," Charles interrupted, appearing in the hallway. 

A breath of relief escaped my lips as I shot him a grateful smile. 

The mechanic gave me a doubtful look, but nodded and turned to continue on his way. 

"Thanks," I muttered to Charles who had clearly just arrived at the track. 

"No problem, he should be in there. His car was in the lot," he nodded at Alessandro's drivers room. 

"Good luck today," I smiled and he thanked me before disappearing into his room. 

I raised my hand to knock on the door, only for it to suddenly swing open. 

"Oh, woah. I didn't expect you here," Alessandro laughed, stepping aside to let me in. 

"I thought I'd drop by for a few. Paddock is pretty busy so I don't think we'll be seeing much of each other today," I pouted. 

"Oh really? Is it crowded?" he asked, pulling the sleeves of his race suit over his shoulders. 

"Crowded would be an understatement. Imagine 20 celebrities, not bad. 20 celebrities with 3 bodyguards each? Plus us paddock people? That's a shit ton of people," I pointed out, making Alessandro laugh.