Story #1 - Fireworks

"You're doing it wrong," Chris comments, glancing down at the instructions.

I sigh, attempting to ignore him. It's our Senior Prank tonight. Unfortunately, when we split up, I got stuck with Chris Walker. The labeled 'Know It All' of the senior class.

The orbeez in my hands plop into the water-filled sink. I notice him staring at me. "What?" I snap.

"Are you not going to measure out the water?" He adjusts his glasses, pulling his backpack further onto his shoulders.

My teeth grind together. Did it have to be him? I've seen him around, but I've mostly heard rumors.

"You're-" he starts, holding out a five-gallon bucket.

"-Look, could you shut up? I would rather be here with someone like Jake!" If I were with Jake who knows what would happen...maybe I could finally tell him how I feel.

His face falls. "Oh... alright. Sorry," Chris mumbles, fiddling with a bag of orbeez. He looks like an injured animal. A pang of guilt shoots into my heart.

"...I didn't mean that."

"It's alright. I know I'm not Jake." He sends me a weak smile, transferring the orbeez into buckets.

"You didn't put Steve Harvey's face on all the lockers... You weren't even the one who set up a bonus for the Vice Principal." I let out a long breath, knowing Jake did that. "But...I shouldn't have said that." An air of silence fills the room. I wish my friends were here.

"You call that a bonus?" he questions. His downtrodden face turns into an ebullient grin. "I can do better."

My eyes widen. "What do you mean?"

"I mean what I said. I will do better." A smirk lingers on his face. My eyes grow wider seeing Chris - the devout rule follower - producing a lighter from his backpack.

"What are you doing? Geez- Chris you have a lighter." My mouth gapes open.

He presses his hand under my chin, closing my mouth. "You don't miss much, do you?"

"Full stop. How-"

He cuts me off. "I need to tell you something. I've wanted to say this for a long time." He rubs his palms against his khakis. "Ms. Nelson, I like you."

"Like, like like me?"

He likes me? Why? How? Could I like him back? But I like Jake...

He nods.

"I can't like you-"

He interrupts me again. "Because I'm a know it all? Wise guy? Freak? Never judge a book by its cover...read through the pages..."

Could I fall for him? Butterflies fill my stomach. Could I date him?

"C'mon." He interlocks our fingers, grinning.

"What about-"

"Forget the prank."

He leads the way onto the roof. Each step with him sends an unfamiliar sense of elation through my body. I find myself beaming at him. I close my eyes feeling the breeze in my hair.

"Open your eyes, Penny. You don't want to miss this." A firework wizzes up into the night sky. "I did better than Jake, right?"

"Chris..." I stare into his hazel eyes full of adoration.

He places a tender kiss on my cheek. "My bonus."