Thirty-seven: Runway

Start from the beginning

Vera rubbed the back of her neck, unable to help the smile that unfurled. "Will you miss Carmen?"

"I'll still see her. We'll just be friends, instead of colleagues. I think that will be better for both of us. I've missed you, though," Sharise said, her lips curving into a crescent. "When I was in Paris, I kept wondering what you would have to say about the fashion. And I got used to having you at home. Although I do appreciate that you remembered I said temporary roommates."

"Sorry temporary ended up being semi-permanent."

Sharise fiddled with one of the gold chains on her wrist, twisting it between two perfectly manicured fingertips, around and around. "I understand why you didn't tell us you were working for Marina. You were trying to spare a confrontation with Carmen, and to spare me the trouble of deciding whether to keep your secret. But since Ellie... I don't handle secrets well. I would rather have the confrontation."

"Yeah," Vera said, quietly. "I know. I'm sorry. That was so fucking dumb of me."

"Maybe not your most brilliant move. But I think I understand you. You're not an asshole. You're just a little bit thoughtless sometimes." A bright laugh spilled from Sharise's throat like the first rays of sunshine bursting between lingering storm clouds. Dark lashes fell low over deep eyes. "In Venice, you asked me what I would be doing, if I could do anything in the world. I've thought about it, and my answer is: I would wake up beside you every day."

Vera's stomach did a weird gymnastics trick.

"You do make me feel loved, Vera. Loved and supported. I think your cheesy lines are adorable and romantic. Being with you is like having someone on my team I can count on at all times. Well, almost all of the time, but we can work on that. And-" Another shower of laughter, this one softer, more intimate. "-when you look at me like that, you make me feel like the most beautiful woman in the world."

"You are the most beautiful woman in the world," Vera said. Her cheeks hurt from the huge, stupid smile that refused to leave her face. "Maybe some people might disagree, but those people are wrong."

"Thank you for listening when I said I wanted a break. I needed time to sort myself out. Now I'm ready for us to figure out how we move forward together."

"I'm ready for that, too." Reaching out, she took Sharise's hands in hers and squeezed gently. "I'll have confrontations with you every day if you want me to."

Her laughter settled into this impossibly soft smile. "That's exactly what I want."

She brushed fingertips featherlight against Vera's cheek. They had drawn together unconsciously, close enough that their mingled warmth pushed back the cool of the night. Vera slid her hands up Sharise's back, felt a small shiver chase under her palms and up, to feather out between her lips.

"Tell me what I can do to earn your trust back."

"I'd like to just date for a while. You probably signed at least a few months lease at your new place, so let's keep living apart for now. That way, when we see each other it's with intention. We can take our time and re-evaluate in a couple months."

"Yeah. I like that. And if we decide to move in again, it will be a decision we make together, not something that just sort of happens because of circumstance."

"That sounds perfect. And I must admit I don't mind the sound of flowers for a year," Sharise teased. "Maybe one of those huge bouquets that you can't even carry."

"Anything you want, angel. As long as you don't expect me to deliver it myself. Troy's bouquet just about squished me flat. You almost ended up with a two-dimensional girlfriend." She grimaced. "Don't tell Jay I said that. He'll tell you that I'm already 2D."