Infinite: You are but a mere child, trembling in fear. How could you possibly hope to understand what I plan to achieve?

Infinite manifests several cannons aimed at Buddy.

Infinite: This will be goodbye.

The cannons fire at Buddy, who reacts quickly, dodges the shots, and the strikes back at Infinite with a solid hit to the face.

Buddy: Hey! I did it!

Infinite: What!? How is this possible?

Infinite fires the cannons again. Buddy jumps out of the way of the projectiles this time, but Infinite flies up to them and releases an energy burst into their torso at point-blank range. Buddy lands down on the ground on their chest in defeat. He can only attempt to look up at Infinite weakly as Infinite speaks, restoring things back to normal reality.

Infinite: I'll admit, you've grown since last we met. No matter. They have only two days left. Let them contemplate the inevitable until I end this once and for all.

Infinite flies away, leaving Buddy to watch him depart with a weakened look on his face.

Buddy: Rgh!

Knuckles: *on communicator* Buddy? Rookie are you there? Fall back! I repeat, fall back!

Buddy retreats. Later back at the base.

Knuckles: Ugh. Things were going well with Operation Big Wave, but then everything fizzled out when that Phantom Ruby kicked in.

Silver: That fake Shadow was created using the Phantom Ruby's power, right? Even if it's a virtual reality projection, it's as strong as the real Shadow.

Shadow: Rouge, have you found the intel I was looking for?

Rouge: No, not yet. But I have reports that Eggman's database is located at the Chemical Plant, in Holoska. If we can check that out, we might find something there.

Sonic: That sounds like a promising lead. We have to figure out the secret behind Infinite's power and virtual reality. Tails, can you handle this?

Tails: Got it. I'll take Sonic--I mean, the other Sonic-- with me and head to the Chemical Plant!

Tails leaves with Classic Sonic and Act 14, Chemical Flow begins, but it's a mix of the original stage with elements Cool Edge

Tails: Phew, so this is where the database is. Hold on a sec, while I access the data from this computer... Okay... failed battle plans... old robot designs... wow, he's got like ten terabytes of selfies...

Classic Sonic: Yeah, that's Robuttnik for ya.

Tails: Where does he keep the-- Found it! Virtual Reality weapon. The Phantom Ruby. A weapon that takes control of people's reality! Like a dream so real, if you bump yourself in it, your sleeping self will bruise? It's hard to believe. Eggman experimented with the Ruby and then incorporated it into Infinite, creating his Ultimate Weapon. If I'm reading this data correctly, then there might be a weakness. This is huge!

Classic Sonic: Let's get this info back to the others!

Meanwhile, back at the base.

Knuckles: I don't like sitting on the bench, but there's nothing to do till Tails gets back.

Amy: Way to jinx it! Metal Sonic has been spotted in the city!

Knuckles: Is it another fake?

Sonic: Why would they bother making a fake out of something that already isn't real? Couldn't they just build more?