Prologue

The scene begins with a Tyson Hesse-styled animation, showing Classic Super Sonic defeating the Heavy King and Dr. Robotnik in the Egg Reverie Zone. 

However, when Sonic tries to grab the Phantom Ruby in his super state, both the Chaos Emeralds and the ruby react negatively and create a space-time vortex, flinging them all into the distant future

Years Later...

An object teleports near an Eggman base of operations and causes interference with his machines.

Eggman: What the devil is causing that disturbance? Oh?

He picks up the Phantom Ruby, which gives him a vision of a great war, Sonic defeated, and a world under his rule. He then remembers the ruby from the events of Sonic Mania.

Eggman: Oh. You. I remember you... 

An evil, menacing smirk then grows on his face. 

Eggman: And I know just what to do with you. HahahaHahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Several months go by and we're brought to a cutscene showing one of Eggman's bases being broken into. A Shadowy figure is running through the fortress destroying all the badniks and defense systems in his way. The figure remains hidden slipping past lasers and guards and reaching a high-security vault. The figure swiftly takes out the Egg Pawns guarding the vault with a Scarlet Blade and cracks the vault combination. He slips through trip lasers reaching the center of the vault, where his treasure lies. After cutting the glass that guards his prize he stares in awe of it for a bit; the Phantom Ruby is a gem like no other and would fetch a high price on the black market. As he goes to grab the ruby, however, he is shocked by visions. He sees events from the past he's never seen before; Sonic the Hedgehog dead, Shadow the Hedgehog locked away, heroes of the future trying and failing to save their world, and a broken planet on fire. He then sees that world being washed away with a masked figure glowing and floating above the rubble in a void, creating an entirely new reality made of pure light. Everything then goes black and he sees 2 Chaos Emeralds swirling around in an Infinity Sign; one green and one yellow. A menacing voice also speaks out to him as an ominous silhouette appears behind him, putting its hand on his shoulder.

???: You know what you must do

Dr. Eggman turns the lights on, seeing the figure now revealed to be a black and white Jackal. The Jackal, still in shock at what he's seen, drops the Ruby.

Dr. Eggman: You couldn't have just knocked? *slowly walks up to him and picks up the Ruby*

The Jackal: Y-you...you're Dr. Eggman.

Dr. Eggman: I prefer Robotnik. And you... you must be that mercenary I've heard so much about.

Eggman looks around, admiring how the Jackal got through his defenses so easily.

Dr. Eggman: I must admit, I underestimated you. There's only one other person who's been able to break into my fortress so easily.

The Jackal: *staring at the Ruby* The rumors are true... the Phantom Ruby does exist...

Dr. Eggman: *he nods in acknowledgment* Tell me Jackal...what did it show you?

The Jackal:...I...I saw...a world fall...and a new reality... born from the ashes.

Dr. Eggman: What you saw was an illusion...

He grins evilly and holds the Ruby up to the Jackal

Dr. Eggman: ...but how would you like to make that world become a reality?

The Jackal takes the Ruby and stares at it

Dr. Eggman: Think about it... with my genius, your expertise, and the Phantom Ruby in our grasp... the possibilities are Infinite.

The Jackal holds the Ruby and grabs it tighter, then looks up at the camera, showing his face with his blue and yellow eyes. As the camera fades, the only thing visible is his yellow eye which is now glowing with a red scar on and off as the Phantom Ruby sound effect plays.

Months later...

Eggman: Orbot, is it ready?

Orbot: All vitals are normal, Phantom Ruby is stable. He's ready to go boss.

Eggman: Finally, with my ultimate instrument of destruction, I'll defeat that meddlesome hedgehog and conquer the world! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

His laugh is crazier and more sinister than usual.

Cubot: The boss really means business this time.

While this is going on, Infinite is inside a chamber meant to charge his powers. He looks on at Eggman and clenches his fist with an inner monologue.

Infinite: When this is done... everything will change...

Continue to Episode Shadow...