Chapter 30: The Ring of Fire

Start from the beginning

Viper approached her father, stopping just short of the moving shadows. "Dad! What's going..." she began to say, the rest of her words dying in her throat as her father opened up his eyes to look at them, showing that they were completely black now.

His mouth opened, words pouring forth that clearly weren't his own... "Your world will be consumed by the powers of darkness! Witness the dark powers of Chóuhèn Fǎnshè!" Whatever was possessing the Grand Master spoke before he seemingly began to choke.

While everyone was wondering what was happening, Po recognised what it was doing. "It's using his Chi energy!" he exclaimed as the Five all surrounded the possessed Master in preparation for whatever was to come, a well of black Chi energy gathering on the ground where it was being expelled out from his mouth. "It's like the Demon is... corrupting it or something..." he said as some of the Grand Master's venom was mixed in with the Chi.

Then, once it seemed as though the Chi had stopped flowing, out of the black well, an arm shot out. It gripped the ground and pulled the rest of its upper body up and out of the well. It was a creature wreathed in fire and dripping with venom. His Chi now seemingly expended, Grand Master Viper was then flung aside and away from the area by the shadows, landing close to his wife, who quickly checked on him to make sure he was still alive. As the rest of the beast's form emerged from the well, the searing flames were felt by all in close proximity. Bursts of fire began emerging from the demonic creature as it rose up.

Large waves of fire flowing out from it, the Five and Po's instincts screamed out in pure terror at the wild and unpredictable fire bursts as they all quickly backed away from the flames that seemed to be coming, the primal part of their brains activating in response to the fire itself and telling them to retreat to safety. But Hunter stood his ground where he was, letting the flames wash over him harmlessly but for some rather uncomfortable heat. Once the Demon had emerged fully, it held up a clawed arm as a ring of fire then surrounded the two of them, cutting the Five off from Hunter and seemingly forcing him to fight it alone.

The Five and Po were not pleased by this at all as to be expected. "We have to find a way to help." Tigress said to the others, attempting to remain as calm as possible as they all searched for an opening. But the fire that made up a makeshift arena in Changxing's Square was impenetrable without severe burning, and Crane was still unable to fly with his injury, and there were no buildings nearby tall enough to let them jump in from above either...

Meanwhile, Hunter calmly unsheathed his blade and held it out to the side in a ready position, preparing to fight and staring down the fiery demonic entity in front of him without any visible fear on his face nor any words on his lips. He was ready to fight. There were whispers on the wind, incomprehensible and excited as the fire raged, like forked tongues in his ear. The fire lit up the night within Changxing, bathing the area in an orange and white light due to the intensity. As the two opponents stood facing one another, the strange being took a single step to the side, Hunter matching its step in the opposite direction measuredly. The rest of Changxing now had come outside to see what was going on, shocked to see the fiery arena now in their town square as well as the two beings facing off within a blazing arena.

The two began to circle one another, gauging each other's movements and intentions. The creature struck first. It very suddenly charged at Hunter, who expertly moved aside while blocking a swipe from the creature's large blade with his own, the metal of both blades meeting in a clang, sparks flying from the creature's flaming sword as they met. Hunter stepped away quickly to avoid any possible fiery reprisals from the beast. The demon lifted its sword overhead and swung downwards. Rolling aside, Hunter once again backed up, remaining calm and defensive, regulating his breathing carefully.

Another swing came from the Demon as it charged, clearly intent on slicing Hunter to ribbons. He blocked each strike on the backpedal before spinning aside and striking, managing a glancing blow that would have lightly wounded a mortal opponent. However, the Demon turned and pressed the attack aggressively, unphased by the hit. In a normal battle, Hunter would bide his time for his opponent to tire in a case like this. But this was a Demon, and most were virtually tireless, especially compared to mortals.