act i - ch3: decisions, decisions...

(drawing of the doctor, the butler, and the young prince by me <3)
(hyeong/hyung, addressed from a male to an older male, is the word kazaru wrote on the paper pad)

Do I have ch6 done—NOPE!

To be fair my schedule is packed and I'm more content with going for slow updates until I have more freedom. Plus, staring at this chapter ready to be published for almost 2 weeks was killing me lmao.

Altho I'm already working on ch5... *clears throat nervously*

Oh, and I'm surprised with how many of you are enjoying this book so far despite only containing 3 chapters rn xD Thank you, it means a lot to me that you're enjoying this impulsive idea of mine dumped into a novel :3

I don't have much to say other than yes, I'm officially going to update the book. Might update every two weeks only if my plate is too full. I hope to do weekly updates in the future ^-^

I don't have much to say methinks, sooo-

Happy reading <3

•••

Outside, Eugene leaned back against the door, fist clenching every time he heard the barely audible cries of the third prince. The rooms in the palace were soundproof, so to hear the young prince's cries when he was standing by the door...

He clenched his jaw, running hand through his hair in a show of frustration, not caring that it caused his glasses askew. He resisted the urge to barge into the room once again, with everything he had, when the boy sobbed louder, his whimpers and hoarse voice from misuse. In just a couple of hours, Kazaru had exceeded his expectations once again.

Usually, every new development from the prince never failed to disappoint him. And he knew that it stemmed from his, Alma's, and Marius' growing refusal to explain to the youngest Evedane what's right and wrong when the boy was too stubborn to change. Not only them, but the other workers who chose to stay in this isolated palace. They had their own reasons for not being persistent in convincing him, yet nothing they did could please their master, especially when their hesitation was getting obvious. They tried and tried since he was only a child clueless of the hate, but couldn't fully shield him from the judgmental stares burning holes on his entire being until their hateful words started affecting him.

Yet, regardless of their selfish reasons, of his selfish reason, the human part in him not wanting to be belittled by society than he already was the moment His Majesty assigned him to his youngest half-blooded son, even if he should know better because he was trained better than to let other people's opinions affect him (he was tired, he wanted to live a normal life, away from the dead bodies dropping like flies, away from orders he couldn't refuse, away from being just a weapon by the tips of His Majesty's fingers as his own people breathed down his neck)-

Eugene couldn't help but feel like he failed the child he was supposed to protect and watch over fall into the freezing pond when he wanted to get a flower that bloomed from a tree only during the winter. How his body was frozen, just...watching the boy fall instead of catching him immediately. Watching as he thrashed and struggled before it was suddenly quiet. Even Marius and Alma had done nothing, stunned to silence at the clear stubbornness their charge was showcasing when they had told him, multiple times, that plucking a flower that only bloomed in a specific tree close to a body of water during winter was dangerous. The tree wasn't structured like a normal tree and more of the tendril-like wood spreading apart with weak branches. They only started moving when the prince hadn't resurfaced from the water.