"You still have me. I'm not sure if it's real or not, but I have this memory in which you told me the true meaning of family, didn't you? It doesn't feel like something they would alter," Peeta questioned, taking her hand from the bar to hold it with his own.

"Family are those people who you fight for, and those willing to fight for you." She recited under her breath, coughing badly as she snickered. "I am willing to fight for you, Peeta. What about you? Family?" She added, chuckling between her coughs as she heard Peeta snigger.

"Yeah. Family. At least, I've got someone Katniss couldn't kill, nor die because of my stupidity." He muttered. "We'll get out of here, you'll see."

"Peeta, that's not true. Katniss didn't kill them, and you did nothing wrong either. And, if we do get out of here, it'll be as corpses. Or maybe, if the Rebels win, we will at least be sentenced to a quick death. Frankly, I would prefer that over the torture." She stated, clenching his hand tightly as a thought ran through her head. "I just hope that if Snow gets his hands on Finnick somehow, I could take his place. That's my only wish. I die, not Finnick. I already had that decided since the Quarter Quell's announcement, anyway."

"Dove, when did you start loving Finnick?" Peeta questioned after a few seconds of silence, gripping her hand tightly to hold on to the little sanity that was left in him.

"I don't exactly remember falling in love with him. I just remember one day I was holding his hand and loathed the moment I'd have to let go," Dove replied with a chuckle as she realised what she had just told him. "Actually, our relationship started with mutual pity. He was broken, in need of a hand to hold, and I was there, a little broken, in need of someone to comprehend me. Pity became understanding. Understanding became care. And soon, I was frightened at the idea of not having him by my side. I was absolutely terrified that one day I would never see his smile again. Quite funny that the moment has come, but I'm no longer frightened."

"What do you mean, you're not frightened?" He asked, resting his body on the bars as he squeezed her hand.

"He's safe. Even if the rebels lose the war, they've lived on Thirteen for seventy-five years. I think they could pull that off again. Or at least I hope so," she chuckled, watching as the door burst open. Two Capitol people carried the gas tank, while another brought a bucket filled with water. "Too bad. We have to end this beautiful conversation, Peeta. I'll see you after regaining consciousness."

They forcefully pulled her body from the wall, obligating her to let go of Peeta's hand, while he begged them to stop. The gas tank had glass walls, letting her see her surroundings. Although it wasn't for too long as the gas filled her vision, burning her entire body, not even letting her cry or scream properly. Time passed, and people came and went, but her pain was constant. At least, until the darkness finally gobbled her up.

"Dove!" Peeta's screams woke her up, causing her to sit up abruptly. "Dove!" He continued to scream, but she couldn't see him. There was nothing near her reach, only a dark sea engulfing her boots. The voice stopped. Peeta wasn't screaming, although the silence was just as horrifying. Had they finally killed him?

"Peeta!" Dove shouted, keeping herself still to hear his voice. Again, no reply. "Peeta!" She ran in any direction, no longer caring about where that could lead her. However, Peeta never replied, or at least she couldn't hear him as Finnick's cry reached her ears.

He was nowhere near. The voice came from all directions, and the dark sticky mass was raising from her boots to her knees, which made walking difficult. "Finnick!" No reply, again. "Why are you doing this to me!? Where are they!? Finnick! Peeta!"

It was so sudden that she almost missed it, but how could she? Not every day one saw themselves killing their family. It was horrifying. Finnick, dead. Peeta, begging for his life. Her family was already dead, their corpses surrounding her. No, I didn't. I didn't kill them. Dove repeated in her mind, seeing as the scene repeated, again and again.