A Mother Always Knows

Start from the beginning

"He has some indie show and had a few extra days to spare. Wanted to surprise Vaughn."

I couldn't help but smile.

"Awww, he really likes her."

"Mm hmm," he mumbled.

I laughed, slightly pushing him.

"Paul, you can't be okay with it and then do that."

"Do what?"

"That! Trust that our kids have learned enough to pick the right people for them. Our girls haven't done too bad. Even with the asshole Kyle, look who Rory is with now. Speaking of, I need to call her. She's been keeping to herself and the only time she does that is when something is bothering her."

"Hmm, I wonder what that could be."

"When she's ready for us to know, if it is anything, she'll tell us."

Our conversation was halted by the suite door opening and laughter filling the room.

"Mommy!"

V came running over to me and I gave her a tight hug.

"I missed you," she whispered.

"I missed you more."

She broke away, turning to Asher.

"Mom, you remember Asher?"

I nodded.

"Of course. Good to see you sweetheart," I replied, giving him a hug as well.

"Same to you, Mrs. Levesque."

"So, how was your dinner?" Paul asked.

"It was great. Asher is about to leave though. Can I walk him out?"

Before Paul could respond, Asher spoke.

"I'm good at managing getting downstairs on my own, V. You don't need to come back up by yourself."

She rolled her eyes.

"I'm not a baby."

"I didn't say you were. Still, I'll be fine."

She pouted and he chuckled.

"How much longer will you be in town?" I quizzed.

"I fly out Monday afternoon so just a couple more days. I have a show Sunday evening. If Vaughn is free..."

"Can I go, please?"

"We'll see," Paul replied.

I hated when the kids put us on the spot in front of people. They knew exactly what they were doing.

"It was good seeing you again Mr. and Mrs. Levesque. Thank you for letting me spend some time with Vaughn."

"Not a problem. I'm sure we'll see you again before the weekend is over. Have a good night," I stated.

Vaughn walked him to the door and briefly stepped out before coming back in. She looked like she had been struck by Cupid.

"You see that, Steph?"

"See what?"

"Our lovestruck daughter and to think you guys call me blind."

Vaughn giggled.

"Dad, I am not lovestruck."

"That look on your face says otherwise. Plus, I know why you stepped out of the room when he just left. I'm not dumb."

"Daddy..." she whined.

"Paul, we talked about this."

"What? I'm just saying."