Chapter 9: Auction

Start from the beginning

I got goosebumps and decided to finish the bath as soon as possible. Once I was done I got out, took the towel, and dried myself off before getting dressed in the garments. Well, at least I tried to but no matter what I did, nothing worked.

"Why are these garments so different than the garments I usually wore...." I mumbled confusedly.

"Do you need help?" I heard Lan Huan asking and turned around.

"Why is this so complicated?"

He laughed. "It's not. You just have to get used to it. Why didn't you call for a servant?"

"Because they are only females out there as the men are busy with the preparations for the wedding. I am a man, I don't want a woman to see me like this. It's embarrassing. Moreover, I didn't think it would be this difficult to get dressed."

Lan Huan shook his head in amusement and walked up to me. "Let me help you. I will find a male servant for you who will help and accompany you if I am not there."

"I don't need a servant. I can do things on my own. I am not a child anymore." I answered and before Lan Huan could say something I raised my finger. "Don't say it!"

"I didn't say anything."

"But you were about to." I pouted. Lan Huan laughed and I had to grin as well. A few minutes later I was dressed properly with the help of my future husband.

"Done. You look amazingly beautiful." He said and admired me. Suddenly there was a growl and I hid my face in embarrassment.

"You are hungry, it seems." Lan Huan laughed and stepped back. "Come, the breakfast is served. Let's go eat and after that, we will go down to the town."

There wasn't a huge difference between the village I lived in and this town except that there are far more people, the colors are brighter and the people seemed to be well off. At least most of them.

The wealthy people lived in those big mansions close to the royal palace while the poor ones lived the farthest away from it. The market is identical to that of my village. People selling foods or goods, different shops and restaurants shouting to get people's attention, and people walking around with their fancy garments to go shopping.

But to me, it didn't matter if everything was mostly the same. It was still an amazing experience. It was hard to believe that everyone here was immortal. They didn't look different than us mortals at all.

"Lan Huan, are you all really immortal? I mean, you never die?" I asked him as we walked towards the center of the market.

"Of course, we die. We can get killed, can have a deadly illness, or kill ourselves. But other than that we are immortal."

"How old is the oldest immortal?" I wanted to know.

"The oldest? Good question. I know that my late grandfather was over 800.000 years old before he died."

"How did he die?"

"He was poisoned by one of his consorts who was a spy from the beast realm." Lan Huan answered and I got goosebumps. It was also the beast realm that tried to keep the mortal twins a long time ago after deciding to end the children's life...

Lan Huan, who saw my reactions stroked my hand with his thumb. "That happened long before the current King ascended to the throne. He is similar to his ancestors but by far not as evil and murderous. In fact, every realm has its problems and faults, we, the heavenly realm, are not different, but no one was as extreme as the beast realm in the past."