"I understand, thank you. You also called me in for something?"

She added more to that but I've been gone from Kiyo for a good ten minutes now.

"It's about Ushijima. I intend on giving him an exam worth a good amount of his graduating grade in a week or two, just before the play he joined for extra credit."

"I see."

"In any case, it's a simple passage that tests his skills."

"Is there anything I need to change in preparation for that test?"

"Oh no no, don't you worry."

"I'll make sure to prepare him just in time for that play."

"You can. What I called you in for is simple. I want to ask, are you seeing improvement or should I bring in any other help from teachers?"

"I see no need."

"I'm asking for a lot, but if you wouldn't mind, could you explain more?"

"Definitely."

I heard some footsteps outside in the hall but I assumed it was Kiyo coming to take me back.

"Wakatoshi has a different way of thinking, Mrs. Ito. His brain functions in a more straightforward way. At first, he couldn't analyze at all. He only looked at the words presented in front of him. But, he worked very very hard, even now. He even took extra worksheets to expand his vocabulary and understanding. It took time to adapt to the nature of literature, but he seemed truly interested and enlightened when he understood and got some of his answers correct."

"That's excellent. It seems his hard work is paying off, I assume?"

"Of course. In my past two years of tutoring, I have never encountered a person as hard working and passionate as him. I could even see it in his eyes that literature was something he gained a love for. At some point, he told me that he went home everyday and wrote a poem or a piece of literature using all sorts of stylistic devices! I took lots of time to read them and I can assure you, Mrs. Ito, he is very skilled. Over the course of January until now, he has gained passion and lots of knowledge you will be very impressed with."

"Your description is very nice and precise. I can tell he's prepared."

That felt amazing. It's been a while since I heard that. I've been wanting to hear a compliment for a while now, this one hit the right spot in my brain. Especially from Mrs. Ito. Nice and precise.

"I will do everything in my power to help him succeed and reach the success we've worked so hard for."

"Thank you Takahashi, you are excused."

"Thank you for your time, Mrs. Ito."

My back still held up, I walked towards the door at the back of the room, furthest from her desk. Opening the door, he stood right outside the frame. I felt what seemed like a mini dose of adrenaline in my stomach.

With a hand on his chest, I pushed him out with me quickly.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Sorry. I-" He cleared his throat.

"You took a while and we're supposed to leave together."

"It's fine, I understand. I must've taken a while, sorry."

"We should get going." He scratched the back of his neck, clearly embarrassed.

I took my bag and we walked out to the hot breeze still whistling around the campus. Kiyo and the rest had left, it's no wonder he came.

"Thank you for waiting and not going ahead, Wakatoshi." I smiled.

"It's no worries. I'm used to walking with you so it would've been weird to not go with you."

We walked out the school gate and crossed the street.

"So, how was the little meeting with the team?"

"It was normal, we discussed our schedule for the next two months for the tournament."

"This tournament seems important, are you holding up fine with everything? Tutoring, play preparation, practice, all that?"

"Yes I am, I can manage my time well."

"That's great to hear! How's the play?"

"It's great, the people I'm casted with are friendly."

"That must be nice."

"It is. Though I'm not the best, they accept me."

"I'm glad you're focusing on the bright side, like how we said on the roof!"

"I agree."

"By the way, when is the play? You know I'm going to be there."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea."

"Oh come on, there's no way you're going to work that hard with me on it just so I won't come."

"It's in two weeks."

I walked ahead and turned around to face him, walking backward.

"If you need anything, send a text, like usual. I'll see you, bye!" I waved, walking through my house's gate.

Then, it hit me. If he was standing outside without knocking, he must've heard everything I said!

Peeking my head out the gate again, I said:

"Wakatoshi?"

"Yes?"

"Did you hear what I said while you were outside Mrs. Ito's classroom?"

He nodded, opening his bag while I stood there like a nincompoop trying to figure out what to say.

With my hands held up, I couldn't mutter a thing! What happened to my composure and confidence when I need it?

"Oh-Well-.. It's simple!" I began to explain.

He put his bag back up on his shoulder before coming close to my face. I saw the marks that the sunburn left. Pressing something into my hand, he said in a calm tone:

"Thank you."

Then, he walked away. Looking down, I saw that he just handed me my favorite vending machine snack. I may have told him that when we had a lesson once when we exchanged information but there's just no way he remembered. Kiyo must've got it for me, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author: I want to take the time to thank you for 300 reads!! It's truly amazing how many people appreciate my work and it makes my day seeing it! Thank you so much! ;)

Lavender | Wakatoshi UshijimaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara