16 | Appointment

"I can confirm the need for an urgent surgery. It is very risky." The doctor said worriedly.

"Just do it." Mother said.

"You're completely sure ma'am?"

"Yes." Mother replied.

"No, wait! You can't! That's not fair! He's saying it's a risky surgery, what if I-"

I buried my face in my hands, trembling.

"What if I don't make it through the surgery?"

"One less thing to care about, you." Mother said coldly.

"NO!" I shrieked.

I back up into a corner, eyes wide, breathing unsteady.

The room shrunk and shrunk and darkened by the millisecond.

I couldn't take it. I fell to the ground, pretty hard.

I instantly rose from my sheets.

It was a dream. My dreaded nightmare.

I put my hand to my mouth, not wanting to cause any noise while the other hand ran through the tips of my hair.

My eyes were still wide open like in the dream. My breath was steadying its pace while my knees rose to my chest.

It's a dream, it's not real. I'll be fine. There's no need to overreact. I'm fine.

I pushed all emotion away and looked at the clock.

It read: 9:27AM Tuesday, March 19th.

It's the day of the dreaded appointment with the specialist.

Partially glad I'm missing school, I stood and got ready for the day.

Brushed my teeth, fixed my hair, and wore appropriate attire.

I went downstairs to see Father eating his food, Mother wasn't there though. I took my morning pills after greeting him.

"Where's Mother?" I said while taking a seat.

"She had to go to a meeting." He said bluntly.

"Shouldn't you be there too?"

"My assistant's taking my place. I wanted to be free of all work plans today."

My father is the head of a huge company, Mother works there. This same company is an inheritance company and has been in my family since it began. Father's inherited it from my grandfather and I'm the only heir left.

Even though he's always out on trips and working, he tries to make time for me, when he can. Unlike Mother, my father is more sympathetic and emotional. He tries.

"Hana, I wanted to talk to you about the company."

"Father, I-"

"You are at an age where you should decide. You can't keep running from this decision, Hana."

"I understand Father but I don't want to plan my life out with a simple yes or no."

"You have the intelligence and you're graduating this year too."

"I know I do but this intelligence can go to a career I want!"

"I won't take this as a no because I know you aspire to honor the family."

"I do."

"Although, you will need to decide at some point."

"I understand." I said.