But I tried to keep in mind that we were going for the snakes' head in order to weaken the tail. If we managed to get to Kintar before he made it to the capital, his army would be that much weaker. Then the dragons could rain down on them without any obstacles but the Inniks. I had faith that though not many dragons were alive, they would be enough to eliminate the Inniks together.

Kintar was my main focus.

As Reece, Emmet and I exited the crowd and found space to breathe within the swamp we had come through earlier, we picked up our pace and ran as fast as we could. We weren't even sure what Kintar looked like, or how he would cloak himself. The first and only time I'd ever seen him was in Everett Valley, as a hooded figure with shadows hiding away his face. He was tall, however, very tall.

My gut told me however that I would feel if he was physically near even if I couldn't be sure what his appearance would be.

Emmet, if Kintar were to go through this swamp, would those gas-pockets be activated?

No. The gas-pockets are for larger numbers. We figured Kintar would be smart enough to shield himself from booby-traps and it would be wasted on him. But if the activator were to spot him, the others would be alerted.

I wondered who he meant with 'others' but there was no time to ask, because the familiar feeling of dread loomed over us like a cloud moving to block the sun, only it happened so suddenly that it came out of nowhere.

The atmosphere shifted from being damp, to going ice cold.

Though Kintar's illusions had already brought that cold feeling, his actual presence was tenfold worse.

I heard plants wilt and crackle as the life was literally sucked out of them. I barely turned around when a crashing force hit me and sent me flying backwards. Colliding into a thick weeping willow, the bones in my body cracked painfully upon impact, air knocked out of my lungs. Snapping my eyes to where I had just been running, I saw a tall, hooded figure amongst hanging vines, slithering towards Reece who'd just watched me slam into the bark. To my absolute and utter disbelief, Emmet noticed the ambush and ran right off. He disappeared from my sight only seconds later and I wasn't sure if I began imagining things.

Apparently even Kintar noticed my shock because his snarling laughter bellowed towards me. "Oh, did the little wolf get ssssscared," he hissed, his face masked with smoke-like shadows that constantly moved but hid his features from sight.

When my eyes found Reece's, something in them glistened, the stare intense with a hidden meaning.

Emmet didn't run off because he was afraid. He ran off seeming like it, either to attack Kintar from behind or to get back up. I wasn't sure what he was up to, but I knew that Emmet would never abandon us.

Though it calmed me to realise that I tried to keep the shock in my face. I wore it like a shield, hiding away my true feelings. I didn't trust Kintar not to be able to at least sense certain things. Who knew what he was capable of.

Kintar's body loomed over Reece as he neared him.

Reece growled threateningly, soaked in the blood of Immortals, and bared his canines. Flicking his tongue over his teeth, he barked loudly, building himself up.

He looked terrifying.

But Kintar's height and his shadows overpowered even Reece. Getting onto my legs, I sprinted over to them as fast as I could. Without even turning my way, shadows erupted from beneath Kintar's cloak, snaking towards me like extended arms. As the smoke touched me, I curled together as my fur burned off.

Howling, I saw Reece charge at Kintar. But he too was slapped aside with barely any effort at all, bones cracking painfully. The sound echoed through the swamp, making a shower of fear wash through me.