Chapter Twenty Four: Roommate

Stellan ushers Delilah up the stairs. He stands just beside her, holding an arm out steadily, just in case.

He felt it as soon as he saw her. The slight shift within himself. The surprise burst of clarity. The way his eyes dissected the colour of her frizzy hair. He could see and describe each strand.

And the way she smelt. Like rich whiskey, honey and cinnamon. The ache that twists at his chest at seeing the bones protrude from her skin with every shaky step upwards. The sinking feeling in his stomach at the tremble in her hands.

And the full persistent throb of agony at realising that she does not see him the same way. Does not know what he feels.

"I will show you to your room first. Let's get you settled and warm. Then we can talk. Where are your clothes?"

Delilah shrugs through her trembles and she offers a small embarrassed smile.

"Okay. I will see to it then we can get you something weather-appropriate."

They reach the top of the stairs and Delilah exhales a slow, silent breath of relief. Stellan stiffens beside her. Just for a moment. He gestured before him and she takes a step forward.

"This bedroom is the king and the queens, this one is Sarah's. This is Jackson and here on the left is me. Your room is just here beside mine."

The door is open and Horatio is moving a bed frame. The room itself is large and bare. There are two double windows that overlook the driveway.

There are heavy green velvet curtains enclosing each side of the window frame. Horatio is setting the bed frame down just in front of the window. To Stellans left there is a vanity set, with a stool already placed. He guides Delilah to the stool and she sits down, folding her arms across her chest, so fragile she looks as if she may collapse within herself.

"Good morning Your Majesty and Miss Delilah. Forgive me I am only now able to attend to your champers Miss."

Stellan steps into the room, lifting the mattress. "No need for forgiveness, Horatio. Here let me help you. Once we're done I'll need to send you on an errand."

Stellan works in silence alongside Horatio. He can feel Delilah watching him. It makes him nervous. He tugs fresh linen onto the bed. Horatio steps out the room then returns with an array of pillows piled expertly in his hands.

Stellan removes the stack and sets them in place on the bed. Once the bed is made Horatio offers a small bow before walking out of the bedroom, leaving the door slightly ajar. Stellan walks to where Delilah is sitting and he holds a hand out to her.

Delilah places her thin, cold fingers into the palm of Stellans hand and Stellan gently lifts her to her feet. He walks her to her bed and Delilah sits down hesitantly. Once on the bed she lowers her body down, back first. Stellan lifts her legs onto the bed, pulling her shoes off too.

He stands up and lifts a throw that is folded nearly on the bottom of the bed. He flips it open and covers Delilah's shoulders with it. Delilah's eyes flutter open and shut. Stellan sits down on the edge of the bed beside her, the mattress dipping with his weight.

"When was the last time you drank?"

"Yesterday."

"You're not allowed to drink here. Please don't, Delilah. Do you have a phone?"

Delilah shakes her head.

"I'll see to it that you get one. Should you somehow manage to make it out of here and decide to get intoxicated somewhere in town, you will call me. You will not show up drunk here."

Delilah nods her head as her eyes close. Stelan watches her for a moment. He holds a hand out to rub her back then quickly withdraws it.

"Should you need anything, do not hesitate to call me or Horatio."

There's another small nod before Delilah's breathing deepens. Stellan gently eases strands of hair out of her face before forcing himself to his feet and out of the bedroom. Stellan trots quickly down the stairs and just as he reaches the bottom of the stairs the front door is swinging open and Raurlin is ushering Naomi inside.

Their anger is immediately palpable and Stellan rushes forward, pulling Naomi into a hug. Naomi trembles against him as she inhales and exhales deeply. Raurlin shuts the door and just as he does Horatio walks into the foyer from the kitchen.

"Your Grace," Horatio directs at Naomi with a deep frown. "What has happened?" Naomi steps back and hands her cup to Horatio.

"Nothing to be too concerned about Horatio. Please put this in the fridge for me. Or have it yourself, whatever you decide." Horatio nods once and walks back into the kitchen, clasping onto the cup.

Stellan gestures for the lounge and Raurlin and Naomi walk into it with him following closely behind. Naomi flops down onto the couch, holding a pillow against her chest. She grips onto the pillow tightly, her knuckles turning white with the effort. Raurlin remains standing as Stellan settles down beside Naomi.

"Had a run in with the local law. Seems our man Axel has tasked him with gathering intel on us. He had a few choice words for Naomi, and threatened to take her to the station. It's just as well I showed up when I did."

"How did you know to find me?" Naomi demands. Raurlin merely shrugs. "You're my aeturnum, I followed the thread."

Stellan folds his arms over his chest then releases them. "Raurlin, Naomi, I owe you both an apology. I was tasked with tracking him down and I was unable to. I will make no excuses for my failure."

Raurlin waves a hand dismissively. "Not your fault, Stellan. We anticipated a level of curiosity from the locals and perhaps a level of resistance from our own, but this...this is..." Raurlin blows out a loud breath as he paces in front of Stellan and Naomi.

Stellan pats Naomi's knee. "You're awful quiet, are you okay?"

Naomi nods. "I was surprised at my anger. If Raurlin hadn't shown up I'm certain I'd have hurt him."

Stellan nods. "That's very normal, Naomi. Your emotions are turned up to one hundred. And the man challenged your authority. You're a queen now. A strong, powerful queen. That behaviour in our community is tantamount to treason. Raurlin what did you do? Did you hurt him?"

Raurlin muses over the question. "I didn't hurt him. I should have. Something to remind him of who he is dealing with. What he is dealing with. But it was mental manipulation. Axel must have done it. I merely returned the favour. Told him to tell Axel that his king requests a meeting. I sent Jax out today for some recon. Let's see what he brings home. What of the woman?"

"-Delilah. Her name is Delilah...I'm sorry. I mean no offence. Horatio has set up her room alongside mine. She has no clothes from what I can gather, no possessions to speak of. If it pleases I will have Horatio go into town and gather some things for her. At my own expense."

Raurlin shakes his head. "At your king's expense. Naomi I'll be right back. Let me chat with Horatio. Can I bring you anything?"

Naomi shakes her head. Raurlin walks briskly out the room. Stellan looks at Naomi then out past the garden where her eyes are lingering. The two sit in silence.

"I think there's something wrong with me," Naomi whispers, her eyes still on the garden in front of her. "When he approached me I just felt so angry. It was like my anger was trying to burst out my skin. Like it was alive. Please don't say anything to Raur, Stellan."

Stellan nods. "As you wish Your Grace, but if I may-"

"-No."

"My apologies. Perhaps let me call Sarah? I think that she may be someone that you can talk to right now."

Naomi nods her agreement, her eyes still on the falling snow.