"I made plenty, so everyone have a few plates!" he had exclaimed.

After they'd finished stuffing themselves, both Leila and Mia sat on the couch with unfinished pieces of pie in their laps. It had been a long time since Leila had eaten so well. She'd never been able to cook quite like her father, and since she had returned to her apartment, she missed eating her family's homecooked meals. 

"So full," Mia groaned, her hand rested on her bloated stomach.

"Me too," Leila complained. "It was such good pie too, and I can't even finish it."

"I'll send you home with extras," her mother said, taking the dirty plates from them. "You look tired, girls. There's nothing keeping you from staying here."

Leila glanced at Mia. "Are you ready to head back, then?" she asked.

Mia nodded. "I think so."

Once again, they thanked Leila's parents for hosting and were sent off with farewell hugs. The drive back to the apartment was relatively silent. Leila thought Mia might be sleeping, but when Leila glanced her way, she noticed Mia was looking out the passenger window, still wide awake. Leila wondered what was on her mind.

"Is it okay if I use the bathroom first?" Leila asked once they got home.

"Fine with me," Mia replied.

Leila readied herself for bed quickly. Though it wasn't late, something about Thanksgiving always made her yearn to crawl into her bed and fall fast asleep. Leila spent the next few minutes wiping off her make-up and brushing her teeth. As she stepped out of the bathroom, she called for Mia. 

"Bathroom's free," Leila announced as she stepped out of the bathroom.

She was met by silence.

Leila glanced ahead curiously at Mia's bedroom. The lights were on, and the door was open, but when Leila peeped her head in, no one was inside.

When Leila walked into the kitchen and living area, Mia wasn't there either. Her heart began to pound intensely, wondering where Mia had went.

"Mia?" she called.

As Leila turned to go check Mia's room one last time, she caught a glimpse of someone out on the patio. Leila felt herself sigh in relief.

Leila tried to open the patio door quietly, but it made a large sound that appeared to slightly startle Mia as Leila stepped out. Mia's forearms were rested on the patio railing, and her gaze was directed toward the horizon. As Leila shut the door behind her, she hugged her arms and shivered some.

"The bathroom's free whenever you want it," Leila told Mia.

"Okay, thanks," Mia replied, her gaze still turned from Leila.

"Everything okay?" Leila asked.

Mia nodded. "Just smelling the ocean breeze, that's all."

"It's cold out here. You sure you don't need a jacket?" Leila asked. Mia had on the thin sweater she'd worn to Thanksgiving dinner, but her heavier coat had been left inside, strewn on one of the couches. Leila wouldn't be surprised if Fuji was resting on it right about now.

"I don't need it," Mia said. 

Leila stood close beside her and gazed out into the distance with her. The chilly air nipped at her skin, causing her discomfort. Leila opened her mouth, ready to tell Mia she'd be heading inside, when suddenly, Mia's head fell against Leila's shoulder. Leila stiffened as she felt Mia bury her head deeper into Leila's coat.

She's lying. She must be freezing, Leila thought. She wasn't sure what to make of Mia's unexpected affection, but she embraced it anyway and wrapped an arm around Mia, bringing her closer to her body. For a long moment, they both stood there in silence as the wind tousled against their hair. Mia felt warm snuggled against Leila's side. Leila was thankful the darkness was hiding her faint blush.

"That was the first time in years I've felt like I had an actual family holiday," Mia said at last. Her fingers were playing with the buttons on Leila's coat as Leila embraced her.

"Was it really?" Leila asked. "But you must've celebrated with your family in Missouri, right?"

"It wasn't as nice," Mia explained. "Tonight, with your family...I felt happy."

"I'm glad—"

"I've felt much more happy these days. Maybe because Julian's gone, maybe because I decided I want to stay in Maine, but I think...I think also because of you," Mia said.

"I'm happy too. I'm happy you're living with me," Leila said, tightening her grasp around Mia.

For a little while longer, they both stood there under the moonlight, savoring the silence and each other's company.

...

The memory of standing with Mia in the moonlight was etched into Leila's mind for the entirety of the weekend. They never mentioned it again, but it felt like something had changed between them, like the intimacy they once shared before their fight had returned, but in an even deeper way.

Monday morning, shortly after Leila got settled into her cubicle, she once again thought over her decision to apply for the job. The closer she and Mia got, the harder she knew it would be to leave her in a month's time.

I know Mia can take care of herself, but I worry, Leila thought.

Just then, her cellphone rang. She quickly picked it up. "Hello?" she asked.

"Hello, Leila. It's Jill. I've got some great news for you. The company would like to advance to a panel interview. What's your availability to fly to Connecticut in the next two weeks?"