Leila suddenly realized that with everything that had happened, she'd never shared the news.

"Thank you. It's been awhile since you've joined us, hasn't it? I guess you wouldn't have heard," Shannon said.

"Are you going to give me a hug too, Gavin? Or are you just going to sit there?" Leila asked, noticing her brother had remained seated on the couch, his eyes glued to the television.

"I'm just going to sit here. Do I really have to hug you every time you walk in here?" he asked. "I saw you every day for eighteen years anyway."

"Fine. I didn't want to hug you either," Leila snarked. 

"Nice to see you, Mia," Gavin said, shooting her a quick glance.

"Same," Mia replied with the same enthusiasm he had shown her.

"Dinner in fifteen everyone," Leila's dad announced from the kitchen. He untied his apron and set it on the counter as he went to grab some appetizers from the living room. "Good to see you, Mia," he said.

"Same to you. Thanks for inviting me," Mia repeated.

As they took a seat on the couch, Leila took ahold of Mia's hand and squeezed it before letting it go. Mia stared at her, but she didn't say anything in response. Leila hoped Mia understood what it meant; that everything would be okay, and there was no reason to worry that this dinner would be painful. As Leila glanced up, she noticed Shannon making eye contact with her. Leila quickly looked away before Shannon could question her on the gesture.

For a while, they both exchanged small talk with Gavin and Shannon. Despite the nerves Leila had once faced arriving to dinner, she now sat relaxed against the couch, happy to see Mia engaging in normal conversation. 

It wasn't long before Leila's mother waltzed into the room to announce that Thanksgiving dinner was ready. As they navigated to the dining room, Leila began to march toward her usual spot at the head of the table. She was broken from her trance when Mia took a seat on the right side of the table. Leila's mother quickly gestured for Leila to take the seat next to Mia. 

Oh, that's right. I'm not alone anymore, Leila thought.

As they gathered their seats, Leila glanced around the dining room. Mia was seated to Leila's right, Gavin and Shannon across from them, while both of Leila's parents sat at the opposite heads of the table.

"Why don't we go around and share what we're thankful for this evening?" Leila's mother suggested

Leila stiffened. She always forgot her mother liked to ask this question each year. As each went around the table, sharing various gratitude for each other and for those they would soon meet, all eyes fell on Leila.

"I suppose I'm grateful for a lot of things that happened this year. I got my new apartment and Fuji, and I got to reconnect with Mia," she said, quickly exchanging a glance with Mia beside her. "And I'm grateful also for this new job opportunity I may have."

"When do you hear back?" her mother asked again.

"Early next week," Leila replied.

Everyone's gaze then fell to Mia. Mia was quiet for a few moments, clearly pondering, but slowly, she spoke.

"I'm grateful to be back here in Maine and to reconnect with all of you," she said. "I wasn't really sure how it would be living here again, but it's peaceful and nostalgic. I'm enjoying it."

"We're so glad you're here to join us," Leila's mother told Mia. "All right! Let's eat, everyone!"

Light chatter was shared around the table as everyone dug into the turkey and mashed potatoes. Mia ate ravenously and even went and got seconds, much to the pleasure of Leila's father, who took getting seconds as a compliment to his cooking.