36. a celebratory handshake

ابدأ من البداية

He raises his eyebrows. Okay?

I blink. Yeah, fine.

He nods, gaze not leaving mine even as Frances starts talking.

"I think that's everything. Let me just get these papers to Chantelle for counting, and then we can discuss the solo project."

Anxious chatter breaks out across the table as soon as she's out the room, conversations about the project, about which story was the best out of the group we just read, yet Dane stays silent, eyes still locked with mine.

I don't know why I haven't looked away yet. Probably because I don't want to admit defeat, partially because I like his eyes. My stomach twists at my own confession to myself.

What is wrong with me?

"Cleo," I turn immediately as Ruby says my name. "Do you have a solo project idea?"

"No, not yet, what about you?"

"I'm thinking something personal. Like a character based on myself when I was younger."

"Is she going to be annoying and bratty?"

"Shut up, you didn't even know me back then."

I smile a bit at her defensive tone. "Frances isn't being helpful at all. The topic possibilities are essentially endless. It's going to be like my senior research paper all over again."

"God, don't remind me of high school. That's one godforsaken place I'm trying to forget."

"We have the results!" Both of our heads shoot over to the door as Chantelle comes back with the stack of papers in her arms, plopping them onto the table before picking up a marker from the dry erase board.

My fingernails dig into the arm of my seat as she leans forward to write. I swear I can feel Dane's eyes burning into the side of my head with every movement, watching for my reaction as if that will tell him everything he needs to know about how we placed.

There's a drop in the pit of my stomach as soon as I see the first name appear on the board in bright blue ink.

Holy shit.

Hair flies into my face as my head whips back over to Dane, eyes wide. He blinks, obviously just as surprised by the outcome before pointing at himself then me then looking back at the board.

Ruby rams her fist into my shoulder, patting me excitedly as I look over at her now. "I knew it."

"What? What did you know?"

"First place with the deja vu piece. That one was brilliant. It was bound to win."

"I—"

Cheers break out across the table as Julia high-fives Anayah who just came in second place. I can barely process the fact, stuck on the reality that Dane and I managed to come up with something together that other people enjoyed.

This must be some twisted, alternate universe.

I hear the rest of the rankings in a similar daze, applauding politely for everyone, cheering when it seems fitting, and when Frances finally decides to go over the solo project, I have to pinch my wrist to get myself to actually pay attention.

"So now let's talk about the big event everyone has been waiting for."

Someone starts a drumroll and everyone follows suit—including Dane, who gives a half-hearted tap on the table much to my surprise.

"You've all grown a lot as writers these past few weeks. We've seen the good, the bad, the ugly. We have a better handle on who we are as a writers and how to push our limits." She clears her throat. "I'll be handing back the critiques from this past collaborative assignment in a few seconds, so you can see what you did well and what you need to work on as a group and individually. And from there on, you'll basically be on your own.

Keep in mind, though, that although we like to call this a competition, it's also a learning experience. You're allowed to use whatever resources you may like—whether that's the internet, books, each other. I want us all to continue to help each other grow and become more motivated to produce good work with helpful feedback."

"So there are no other guidelines?"

"Nope. I don't care how long or how short this piece is, what it's about, what words you use. Basically the only requirement is that it's an original piece."

"That's so difficult, Frances."

"An original piece? That's concerning."

"No," Reece rolls his eyes, "Giving us virtually no guidelines."

"What kind of artist are you, Mr. Kent? You need lines to color between?"

"Hey, look, I'm just saying. This is a very open-ended thing. Like what even makes a good story?"

"Hopefully you've been able to somewhat figure that out through this workshop. Your piece should be something that's compelling. It convinces you that what you're reading is a reality. It sinks you into something like there's no other plane of existence but the piece."

"Solid advice." Reece sighs, pulling his baseball cap down over his eyes before leaning back in his chair.

Ruby snorts from next to me.

"Look, you'll know when you know. You've just got to trust the process. I would suggest you spend a couple days planning, maybe brainstorm, whether that's individually or together. Take a walk or something, I don't know. It'll come together eventually."

Class ends fairly quickly after that, but my heart is still racing like I've run a mile. I snag our critique sheet from the table as I'm leaving, stopping short in the lobby as a hand finds my shoulder.

"Hey."

I turn around, lips pressing together at the sight of Dane. "Oh...hey."

His hand retreats, finding his pocket then immediately making its way back out, held limply out to me.

"What's this?"

"A celebratory handshake."

"God, don't overwhelm me with your enthusiasm."

He shakes his hand at me in response, keeping it extended until I grab it with my own, letting them move up and down once before letting go.

"First place—not bad, Cleodora. Maybe we should've worked together a long time ago."

"Maybe we could have if someone here wasn't a huge asshole."

"Take down the hostility a notch, yeah? I'm trying to be nice." He raises his eyebrows at me pointedly before maneuvering around. "I'll see you later."

"Hopefully not," is the only thing I can think to say to his retreating back as he makes his way down the hallway.

***

i am one hundred percent certain i've spelled Reece and Frances' name in multiple different ways throughout this book, and maybe even Anayah's, if we're being honest.  so if you see alternate spellings just look away. 😩❤️