Chapter 8: Clay's Tape

En başından başla

Mrs. Jensen: I'll tell you later if I can. Um... There's leftover chicken in the fridge, and roast beef for sandwiches. Listen, I have to go, so be in touch with your dad, okay?

Clay Jensen: Sure.

Laine Jensen: Bye.

Clay Jensen: Bye.

Clay resumes listening to his tape. As he listens, he remembers back to that night. He showed up 2 hours early thinking that the party started at 7, but 7 really means 9. He helped out setting up snacks. As party got going, Hannah showed up. Clay panicked and tried sneaking out, only to be stopped by Jeff. Jeff talks Clay into having a conversation with Hannah and he does. When Hannah gets to the part where she & Clay went upstairs...

Clay Jensen: Stop. I've got to stop.

Tony Padilla: You want me to stop the car?

Clay Jensen: No. Yes! No, no. What does she say next? I mean, does she say what she did? Does she say why?

Tony Padilla: She does.

Clay Jensen: So, Justin, Zach, Alex, they all heard this? And Ryan and Tyler?

Tony Padilla: Of course.

Clay Jensen: Of course. I'm just like everyone else.

Meanwhile, Jessica continues to hang out with Bryce. Justin had been trying to call her but she just ignores his calls and proposes to go to Bryce's house and hang in the hot tub. She knows that something bad happened to her at her party but tries to make things okay by trying to forget. She's been slowly spiraling out of control, especially after she showed Bryce her father's gun collection. Justin got into an argument with Seth, his mother's drug dealing boyfriend, and left the house. After Zach didn't answer his phone, Justin stayed over at Alex's house. Clay felt like throwing up, so Tony takes take him to Monet's for a bite. Skye Miller brings over their order

Skye Miller: I've got a prosciutto mozzarella with red peppers.

Skye sets the plate in front of Tony.

Tony Padilla: Thank you.

Skye Miller: And a plain turkey with a tiny dab of mayo, and an even tinier dab of mustard.

Skye then sets Clay's plate in front of him.

Clay Jensen: Thank you.

Skye Miller: No triple Americano for you?

Clay Jensen: No, I'll just... I'll just get some water or something.

Skye Miller: Oh, my God. Sit. I'll get it.

Skye walks back to retrieve Clay's water.

Tony Padilla: Wow. She doesn't do that for anybody.

Clay Jensen: I'm ready to keep listening. We don't have to waste more time.

Tony Padilla: Eat your food.

Clay Jensen: I can't.

Tony Padilla: Don't act like a child. Eat.

Clay Jensen: Stop talking like my grandpa.

Tony Padilla: You need to be in the right headspace.

Clay Jensen: How can I be in the right headspace to find out why I caused a girl to try to kill herself?

Skye returns with Clay's water as she hands it to him.