A Beam of Light in the Deep Blizzard

Captain Barnacles Bear sat in his frigid chair at the commander's seat of the Polar Scout Arctic post. It was just another mundane day of sitting around the base and doing little work. Despite being the largest rescue organization in the Arctic, the Polar Scouts haven't received any calls in what seems to have been days.

The raging snowstorm outside howled with a ferocious temper. Barnacles' friend and assistant, Tracker, built the computers in the station to be extremely durable and to have the ability to withstand the strongest gales and the most extreme temperatures, but the wires had busted from the immense pressure. Because of this, the computers at the station have ceased to operate properly. Many of the Arctic branch Polar Scout members have left the organization in order to tend to their young, only complicating the situation at the station. Both Tracker and the Captain feared for the safety of the creatures in the Arctic. Without the Polar Scouts, both the Arctic and the organisms inhabiting the area could degrade into ruins...

Barnacles picked up his warm cup of hot chocolate, from the one piece of technology in the Polar Scout igloo that hasn't become deep fried, and took a big swig of it. Despite the temperature of the igloo being well below freezing, the fresh aroma and the warm, chocolatey taste of the hot chocolate filled up the entire room with a sense of warm comfort and joys

"Hey Tracker, you look like your freezing over there, would you like a cup of hot chocolate?" Barnacles asked. Tracker jolted his head around in the Captain's direction. "It's delicious!"

"I'm sure it is, Captain, and I would love to fancy a taste, but I don't think we'd want these wires to fray and get cooked even more than they already are." Tracker smiled, pointing at the computer wires.

"Ah, I see, your trying to fix the computers." Barnacles replied. "How's it going?"

Tracker looked at him with a shrug. "Well, it could be better, but I should have it fixed soon. I thought I would only need to use my soldering iron, but based on how severe the damage is, I presume that we would have to resort to using new wires for the computers." He sighed worryingly. "Captain, do you think we will still be able to help the Arctic? Even without our high tech listening devices and computers?"

"Of course, Tracker." Barnacles said calmly. "Our lack of technology available at the moment still doesn't stop us from being Polar Scouts." He sat down on the rug with Tracker in the dim candlelit room. The Captain looked at the stressed polar bear with compassion. He knew how hard he worked to help keep the station under control. "Hey, you've been working hard on fixing the computers for quite some time now. How about you take a well deserved break!" 

Tracker nodded his head and smiled. He pushed the computer wires away and then crossed his legs. "That sounds great, Captain! I do have a couple of questions though." Tracker began. "First of all, how were you able to get the cup of hot chocolate when none of the other machines were working? Maybe you could help me fix the computers?"

"It is the only piece of battery powered equipment we own, would you like some hot chocolate now that you are not working on the computers?" Barnacles asked.

"I am fine for now, but thank you for the offer." Tracker replied. He sighed and rested his head against his paw. "Captain Barnacles?"

"Yes?" He responded.

"I've known you for several years, ever since I was a young cub. We have been through thick and thin together, but I feel like I haven't met every facet of you." Tracker looked at the Captain in the eyes. "I've been wondering this for quite awhile now. What made you decide to become a Polar Scout?"