chapter 18

indistinct sobs and murmurs struggled to pull yoshinori back into this realm. his hooded eyes were a sign that he was about to collapse, yet yedam kept on calling his name, gently shaking his shoulders simultaneously. yoshinori's will not to lose consciousness was big enough to maintain his eyes opened, although shrinking, with extreme effort, unfortunately for himself, he was just a human, and his injuries, all the cuts and bruises remained painful as he didn't let his body become senseless.

"where is..." his voice was weak, feeble, yedam immediately lowered his head, covering his own mouth not to let out any sound which would disturb his leader's words. "jihoon?"

yedam knew how much the other man meant to his hyung, and no matter what heinous acts he had committed, he was still the one whom the other was worried about the most.

"inside. he strode there the moment he gave you to me."

"take me..." yoshinori swallowed a metallic liquid, minute by minute a new dollop seeping inside his mouth. "to him."

for the first time in years, yedam contradicted. he shook his head, not being able to put the stranger's life above his hyung's.

"I will first take you to asahi hyung. he will treat your wounds, examine your condition. hyung... you barely speak. I will help you stand up, and we will go inside together, alright?"

on the count of three, two boys, one supporting the other on his shoulder, slowly approached the building. making it over the threshold wasn't as challenging as yedam feared, he thought with relief that maybe his leader's state wasn't as harmed as he assumed. nevertheless, yoshinori had to hold onto yedam's arm tightly, or else, he would stumble forward or backward and the path ahead would need to be taken on his knees, crawling.

at this moment a clunk drew their attention. something hit against metal doors. and it was just the beginning - the fuss which broke out during yoshinori's absence was at its climax now.

"what's-"

yedam couldn't finish this question, in a split second two of them heard jihoon's scream, full of frustration and pain. yoshinori's eyes widened, his jittery hands pushed the other away, impoverishing himself of the sole support he had.

as expected, his legs made two unbelievably small steps before his body collapsed. he landed on his hands, saving his face from the unpleasant encounter with the floor.

"hyung...!" yedam panicked, stooping right next to where yoshinori miserably fell.

"check..." he started, sudden coughing bout unburdened him from another amount of blood which had been forming itself in between his teeth. "take me to jihoon..."

a grimace of hesitation and sympathy mixed now on yedam's face. he was now facing his internal battle. if he took him to asahi, he would save his leader's life but probably wouldn't be forgiven for not complying with the request given so beseechingly. on the other hand he could fulfill his wish, take him to the one he was devoted enough to risk his own life, but then his condition would probably deteriorate, getting no treatment, being under constant endeavor.

"f-fine. hold tight onto me, we will save you... and the one you love too."

they stood back again, struggled with gravity but strode forward. yedam could see how determined the other was, his face stern, brows crossed, probably bearing excruciating pain but not letting out even the tiniest bemoan. it took them a few minutes to finally reach the place which two people decided to turn into their battlefield.

the situation was critical as the other party approached. it didn't take them long to realize on whose side luck was this day. yoshinori watched anxiously as jihoon who has been dangling in jaehyuk's arms before, was now discarded to the floor with such might that the sound of his bones shattering against the floor pierced acutely through yoshinori's heart.

he wasn't oblivious, knowing jaehyuk like the back of his hand, when it came to revenge or protection, he was invincible and even if jihoon was admirable as well, in a long run, he must have been defeated.

jaehyuk was now an unleashed dog, not thinking clearly anymore, his self-control was now a bare smattering. as his right hand pulled out a gun and pointed it towards his enemy, even yoshinori's hoarse, collapsing cry out, let out as loud as he could, didn't hinder the pistol from blasting off.

eventually, the one bullet was used to protect doyoung.

the red-hair boy fell to his knees, the sight in front worse than the darkest nightmares. no matter how abundantly his tears roll down, his jihoon is there, his shapes and colors distinct, nothing becomes blurry and soon a puddle of blood grows underneath.

"jihoon..." he murmurs and cannot hold on anymore.

his head bangs on the ground, as he loses consciousness.

// ✧ //