Chapter Sixty Five

Start from the beginning

"I never said that." He responded.

"You didn't have to." She chuckled.

"I just don't see him as a Hufflepuff." He admitted.

"What? What's so wrong with being a puff?" She folded her arms over her chest.

"Nothing! I just don't imagine him being sorted into that house." Severus put his hands out in defense before she could get mad.

"Well what if I don't see him being a Slytherin?"

"Then you're wrong." He chuckled.

"Wanna bet?"

"Loser buys dinner... at Epicure."

"That place is crazy fancy! I don't know if I can afford that." Clarice laughed.

"Better not lose then." He laughed with her.

Their day had passed by fairly quickly and as they sat on their couch, Clarice brushed her hair silently. She always felt empty when Elio wasn't with her. She knew she should appreciate the nights where he's with grandma and get some good sleep, but it was actually harder for her.

"Ready?" She heard his silky voice and nodded gently while grabbing her cloak.

"Need anything?" He asked and she shook her head.

"You're being quiet. Everything alright?" Severus held her hand.

"Yes, just preparing." She took a breath. She was slightly nervous to have Severus with her this time. He never asked to go with her and very rarely had he ever seen her during these sorts of trips.

Instead of questioning her again, Severus just nodded while stroking his thumb across the back of her hand.

Severus groaned as they marched up the tower. Clarice was ahead and turned around.

"Not as young as you once were, huh?" She teased.

"I swear I'm going to die of a heart attack on these stairs one day." He managed.

"Come on you. Just a few more." She encouraged him.

Clarice waited for him at her usual spot on the edge. The moon was shaped like a crescent, her favorite phase. Although small, it brought light to the castle.

"You left me in the dust." Severus huffed.

"I just wanted to get good seats." She smiled back at him as he sat beside her. She fiddled with the ring under her cloak before pulling it out.

"Claire? Before you start..." Severus started cautiously. "Can I ask something of you?"

"What's that?" She turned to him.

"I just... I need to know... how much time I have left." He stuttered.

"What?"

"How much time I'm going to have with you." He said quickly and then took a breath. "I need to know when I'm going to die."

Clarice was shocked and a bit taken aback at this statement. She looked at him, complete horror in her eyes and sadness in his.

"You- want me to... what?" She stuttered and couldn't catch her breath.

"Claire..."

"Severus , I can't do that. I can't know that. I dont want to know that. I- I don't think- Why would you even ask?" She fumbled over what words she was going to say and came out like a mess.

"I need to know."

"So what? You're willing to risk my sanity for it?"

"If it's too much, I understand." He hung his head, regretting his choice of words. Clarice closed her eyes, tilted her head back and breathed in deeply. The ring in her palm was slowly raised up to her right eye.

It started with cheers; her visions always started out as a sound and the pictures came later. It started with the cheering of students, eager to watch the final task. Clarice watched and projected her vision to Severus.

A maze, a cheat, a cup, Voldemort, death.

Clarice's eyes snapped back open and clutched harshly to Severus.

"You're fine, love. I got you." Severus held her tightly while using his cloak to wipe blood dripping from her nose. Her eyelids closed again and she refused to open them until she knew she was ready for what came next. Her heavy breathing evened out and focused her mind upon the constellations.

Slowly, she opened her eyes to look through the ring.

It was very blurry, seeing as there were so many different outcomes and storylines to process. The further away the prophecy, the more outcomes she had to filter through. The future was always changing depending on the decisions other people make.

She watched Severus die seven times in seven different ways before passing out from exhaustion.