Chapter 10: Revelation

Start from the beginning

Y/N ignored him, gently pulling the diary out of Verde's hands and leaving the room with the artist following. Not wanting to be left alone, Vao followed, the uneven sounds of his footsteps close behind as his prosthetic clunked against the floor.

"Where are we going?" Verde whispered. Y/N didn't answer, walking back into his old room. Summer was awake, typing on her scroll. When the three entered, she looked up.

"Oh, there you lot are. What's with the grim faces? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Mom... Is someone outside?"

Summer shrugged. "There shouldn't be. Your father's still trying to find that sale. Why?"

Y/N just shook his head slowly. "... It's nothing, Mom. Just my imagination..." He knew Summer was aware he lied. But she didn't say anything. Instead, she watched as Y/N, Vao, and Verde left the room, their footsteps disappearing down the stairs. As they walked towards the back door to the house, Vao finally spoke.

"... Have you gone and left the lights on? Lying to your mum like that, even I wouldn't go that low..."

Y/N opened the back door, stepping outside. "I didn't want to worry her, is all..."

"Worry about wot, exactly? Why are we going to the woods?" Y/N didn't answer, stopping in front of the treeline.

He didn't stop on his own free will. His body stopped him, forcing his halt based on instinctual terror. A feeling of horror washed over them as they stood in front of the dark trees. A feeling of danger, like staring down the dark barrel of a gun. The desire to flee was at its strongest; so heavy that Y/N felt weak at the knees.

"... Are we... Going inside...?" Verde barely whispered.

"You'll have to take my other leg before you send me in there alone," Vao answered softly.

Y/N remained silent. But with a deep breath, he moved a shaky foot forward, drawing ever closer to the tall ferns that grew in abundance on the forest floor. Another step.

One more. One more step, and they'd be in the trees. And that was one step they took together - at least, Y/N and Verde did. The katana-wielder looked back at Vao, who remained at the edge of the yard and the trees. "Vao, come on!" He whispered harshly.

"You see mate, I'm smart. I'm not stepping foot in those trees, even if it's the fake one."

Verde rolled her eyes. "Oh come now, who else will protect me?"

"Not me, that's for sure bruv."

Ouch. Verde's jaw dropped open in surprise. Vao had a mouth, that was for sure. But Y/N knew his brother better than anyone except Raven. "I get it, Vao. You're just a pansy."

The femboy looked furious. "Wot?"

Y/N shrugged. "It's okay to be scared, Vao."

Vao seemed conflicted, but slowly stepped inside the trees. Feeling achieved, he tossed his hands in the air. "Who's the coward now?"

Both Y/N and Verde ignored him, walking away with Vao following close behind. He was gripping Y/N's hand, his head on a swivel.

"... Vao?"

"Yeah?"

"Your hand is sweaty and gross. Let go of me."

"No."

Y/N grumbled quietly to himself as they traversed deeper into the forest, the sun slowly beginning to sink as the evening dawned on them.

...