Always Watching

Beginne am Anfang

I became speechless for a moment, his assertive words repeating in my mind, making my imagination run wild.

"O-okay. Um, your company is primarily involved in the tele-communication sector, yet, you also invest in numerous agricultural projects, including several in Africa. Is that something you feel passionate about? Feeding the worlds poor?" I ask, rather professionally for once.

"It's just smart business," he replies, shrugging.

I can't help but feel angry as I look at him, is this guy for real?

"You don't agree?" he asks, sliding off of his desk and walking back to his chair, gently sitting down and crossing his legs.

I look down as I reply, "I-I don't know enough about it," I lied.

I ponder for a moment as he looks at me with sudden interest, and I look up to meet his eyes.

"I just wonder if..if your heart may be a bit bigger than you let on?" I say, wanting to know a bit more about him.

"There's some people who say I don't have a heart, at all."

"Why would they say that?" I say, feeling genuinely sympathetic.

"Because they know me well," he said blandly, leaving me feeling dumbfounded.

"Go on," he stated, growing impatient.

I look down at the paper and read a random question, "Um, do you have any interests outside of work?"

"I enjoy various physical pursuits," he said, slightly smirking,.

"You're unmarried. Oh! You were adopted at age 4," I say, acting more excited than I should.

"It's a matter of public record," he said, getting back onto his feet proceeding to walk towards me.

"Oh, sorry.."

He now stands right before me, making me feel more intimidated than any other human being ever could.

"Do you have an actual question, Mr. Howell?" he said with impatience.

I shake my head up and down, quickly looking at the paper.

"Are you gay?" I blurt out, and dart my eyes back to the words on the paper. What the actual fuck. I look up at him, chuckling nervously and shaking my head.

"It's written here- I'm just-" I said nervously.

"Yes, Dan, I'm gay," he says with a small smile.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Lester- PJ can be a bit-"

"Intrusive?" he guesses.

I put the pencil to my lips nervously and bite it, grazing it over my bottom lip, "curious."

Mr. Lester grows silent as he grips the end of his desk tightly, his fingers tapping the wood.

"What about you? What's something that YOU want to know?" he asked, letting go of the desk and moving to the chair next to mine, casually taking a seat.

"Well, earlier you said that people claim to know you well. Why do I get the feeling that that isn't true?"

He looks at me with astonished, wide eyes as he thinks of what to say to me.

The door opens and his assistant appears.

"Mr. Lester, your next meeting is in 10 minutes in the conference room."

Mr. Lester raises an open hand, signaling her to stop, not taking his eyes off of mine.

"Cancel, please. We're not finished here."

"Yes, sir," she replies politely, leaving the room.

"No- I-I'm- we- I can go, it's fine," I stuttered with profound confusion.

"I would like to know more about you," he said with genuine interest.

"T-there's not much to know," I replied bashfully.

"You said you major in English Literature. What are your plans after you graduate?"

"Well, I was planning to move here, to Seattle, with PJ," I said with hope.

"We offer an excellent internship program," he offered confidently.

"I- I wouldn't fit in here..." I chuckled, "just look at me."

"I am."