Always Watching

**Dans POV**

"Please, have a seat, Mr. Howell," he gestured towards the chair.

I quickly sat down, as did Mr. Lester. I tried to balance the interview questions on my leg as I fumble for a pencil. Of course, I don't have one. I look around hesitantly and spot one on Mr. Lester's desk. He watches me closely as I eye the pencil, hoping he gets the hint. He looks at me questionably and raises an eyebrow, then turns his view to the pencil. He smirks charmingly and gets up and grabs it, handing it to me carefully and gently.

I take it, rather bashfully, and thank him.

He takes a small step back and half-heartedly leaps to sit on his desk. I can feel him watching me, as he is significantly closer now. He leans in slightly towards me, gesturing that he is waiting for me to speak.

"Ready?" I say, attempting to sound enthusiastic with a half smile on my face.

"Whenever you are," he replies coolly, smirking at me again.

"A-ah, yes, okay, um-" I fumble with my words before quickly regaining my composer.

"So, this is for the special graduation issue for the student newspaper-" I start.

"Yes... I'm giving the commencement address at this years ceremony," Mr. Lester informs me.

"....you are?" I asked in disbelief. "I mean, um- I know... you are," I try to save myself.

 I continue, "you are very young to have such an empire, to what do you owe-"

"To what do I owe my success?" Mr. Lester interrupted rudely.

"Yep..." I looked down on my paper, confirming the question.

"Seriously?" Mr. Lester stated with offense.

"Yes..." I replied, watching as Mr. Lester started slowly pacing across the room.

"Business is about people, and I have always been good with people," he explains, taking in a short breath before continuing, "what motivates them, what incentivizes them, what inspires them."

"Well, maybe you're just lucky," I quickly add when he finishes, smiling slightly.

He couldn't help but smile back at my words as he paced, glaring at me with curious eyes.

"I always found that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. The key to my success has been to identify talent in individuals, and harnessing their efforts," he replies enthusiastically.

"So you're a control freak?" I say without hesitation, watching his every move.

"Oh, I exercise control in all things, Mr. Howell," he says sternly, his eyes narrowing slightly as they lock onto mine.