11. A Cat's Advice

(Jason's POV)

It seemed the soft swaying of Danny's truck lulled her to sleep as I volunteered to drive home, the poor girl was exhausted from running around all day. But it was a really fun day, full of helping set up around town and meeting a lot of people, so I couldn't blame her.

Risking a glance from the road, I could see her curled up in her oversized turtleneck, buried up to her nose in the jacket I placed over her.

She was cute when she slept.

Ignoring the burning in my cheeks, I pulled up to the driveway barely knowing how much time must've passed. One minute it seemed we just headed out, the next we were already here.

Guess that's what getting caught in my head does.

The cold breeze tickled my neck as goosebumps erupted down my arms, carrying Danny into the house, somehow unlocking the door in the process.

"Down, kiddies," I absentmindedly maneuvered around the pets, eager to see us, "yeah, yeah, you're excited we're home. I missed you too."

And I was surprised to find I meant it, wondering just how these pets grew on me so quickly.

I guess they took after their owner.

Padding silent as a mouse, I laid the sleeping woman in her bed, brushing a lock of her hair from her face. I knew it was cliché to say, but Danny looked really peaceful when she was asleep, "Goodnight, Danny."

"Night', Jas'n," she mumbled into her blankets, startling me, before drifting off to sleep again.

Smiling, I left the room to plop on the couch. I guess I should do more research to try to figure out who I am and where I'm from. But I was having a such hard time remembering about myself.

Like, I remembered that I worked out a lot, lived in the U.S, and liked pancakes, guns, and sparring... but this was just so... much.

"Reow," Loki jumped into my lap, rubbing his furry cheek against my arm. Chuckling I rolled my eyes, pretending to be annoyed, "So what do you think I should do then, if you know so much, huh?"

Playing with the tassel on Danny's phone, which laid in my pocket, the cat let out a little "Mrah," before jumping down.

"I can't tell if you're trying to actually help, or you're just being a cat..." Shaking my head again, I busied myself with the little piece of technology.

Seeing one particular photo pop on the screen, my favorite of the day, I let a soft grin make its way to my face.

It was right after we finished eating the cinnamon rolls, and I held the bag of extras above Danny's head. She was hanging off of my frame, trying to tackle me, when I accidentally took the photo.

Her eyes were glittering with mine, goofy looks on our faces as I stuck my tongue out at her.

Scrolling past photo after photo, I didn't realize how many I took with her; some of us together, some she took of me, some I took of her. We had smiles in all of them.

Placing the phone in the charger, my thoughts turned back to the first day I came here.

Danny was such a kind-hearted and fierce person, that I could see when I first looked into her eyes. She continued to prove it to me when she fixed me up and let me stay in her guest room.

And somehow, she always made me lower my rough walls and calm my gruff personality.

I wonder if my family would like her too, I'd be surprised if they didn't. 
______

Hello my fellow demigods and dear mortals, look who's back!

Well, I mean, sorta back. I still have an intense and busy schedule, but I had a longer break than usual and was able to finish up this chapter today. 

And although summer is coming up, then I'll have way more time since school will (most likely) be out of the way.

So enjoy this chapter, hopefully I'll be able to post next month as well! <3

          -EthanVenlivrenVari, Cabin #3, Child of Poseidon🔱🌊