Chapter Fifteen: Arrow

Start from the beginning

"P-Pancakes... and eggs?" Kanako repeated in her mind. "H-How?! I don't even see a pancake! And are those liquid-yellow things the eggs?! And why do I smell garlic?!" But, despite her internal screaming, Kanako did her best to remain calm. "H-Haruna, mind if I take a look?" she asked.

Haruna scooted over so Kanako could take a good look at the stove. In the pan were actually things that looked like pancakes, but when Kanako poked them with the spatula, they were as hard as rocks. "Why are these hard?" she asked. "The first batch I tried to make took a while and got really burnt, so I did a little research and found out that mixing more helps, so I mixed the batter a lot and then poured it on." "Ah..." Kanako let out, still trying to keep her composure. "And why is there a flame on in the back, but nothing on it?" "I figured it would heat things up faster having an open flame next to the ones that were under stuff. Double the heat, y'know?" "A-And... the garlic smell...?" Kanako asked. "For flavor!" Haruna responded enthusiastically. ".............."

"...Haruna."

"Yes?"

"You know I love you, right?"

"Well duh."

"Great, because I have to say something kind of mean."

"What is it?"

"Don't ever cook again."

"Eh?"

"Have mercy on the food, I'm begging you."

"...It's that bad?"

"Yes..."

And so, Haruna was sent out of the kitchen (and even though she knew she was bad, she still ended up sulking at the dining table). Kanako quickly cleaned up the mess, whipped up what Haruna had been trying to make for about an hour or so, and then served it. The result? Perfectly fluffy pancakes and bright yellow eggs with a nice balance of salt and pepper on them.

"You always make it look so easy..." Haruna muttered as she pouted. "H-Hey, don't be upset Haruna," Kanako said. "I know you tried your best, and I appreciate it." "You told me to have mercy on the food..." Haruna mumbled sullenly. "I'm sorry, I couldn't hold back my true feelings very well," Kanako said apologetically.

The rest of their breakfast passed peacefully, and after cleaning up both their dishes and what remained of the mess Haruna had made, the two of them were left with the rest of Saturday to themselves. "What should we do?" Kanako asked. "I'm not really sure," Haruna said. "It's not like there's much to do around here." "Oh, I know!" Kanako said, getting an idea. "Let's go for a walk." "A...walk?" Haruna repeated. Kanako nodded. "I know we walk to and from school, but we never really just walk around aimlessly. It could be fun. And the rain cleared up too, so we don't have to worry about getting wet."

It definitely felt out of the blue, but at the same time, Haruna thought it might be nice. "It at least sounds like a couple thing to do," she thought. So, the two girls got dressed (Haruna with a pair of jeans and a black jacket zipped up; Kanako quickly running next door to put on a yellow, long-sleeved shirt and a long, white skirt), and then they headed out.

"Which way should we go?" Kanako asked. "This was your idea, so you pick," Haruna said. "Hmm. Let's go that way!" Kanako decided, pointing to her left. So, hand in hand, Haruna and Kanako began walking along the side of the road. With it still being Saturday morning for a bit longer, there still weren't many people out yet. The scenery, the streets and the buildings all gave off an air of peace.

"...Hey, Haruna," Kanako said after they had been walking quietly. "Do you like living here?" "Huh?" Haruna let out. "Where did that come from?" "I'm just thinking," Kanako said. "It's so quiet here sometimes. That's not a bad thing, I guess, but sometimes..." "Sometimes you wish there was more going on," Haruna finished. "Yeah, I get that. It's not that you hate it here. You just wish it was bigger." Though, hearing Kanako bring up such a subject brought questions to Haruna's mind.