jimmy fallon

Feb 12

Brielle took a deep breath as she waited in her dressing room to go onstage.

"Ella, look at me," Jeremy said, taking Brielle's hand from where he sat next to her. Brielle looked up at Jeremy. "You're going to be amazing. You know how to perform."

"Thanks, Jer," Brielle said with a sigh. "It's just that this is so much different than acting. For an interview, I don't have a script to memorize or a character to play. I have to go up there as myself. And then singing my own songs that I wrote on the Tonight Show? That's just insane."

"Ella! Breathe, you're starting to hyperventilate. I need you to take deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Good. Now listen to me. I've heard all of your songs, and believe me, they are incredible. You've got great lyrics, great melodies, and I know for a fact that they will sound just as good live, if not better. And for the interview, think of it as playing a character. Go out there with the confidence of Regina George and do your best. You've got this."

"Thanks, Jer, you're a lifesaver. And thanks for tagging along."

"Of course. I've got to go to the audience, but break a leg! And merde." Jeremy gave Brielle a calming hug, then he left to go sit in the live audience.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome for the first time ever... Brielle Stoll! Welcome. Thank you so much for being here.

Of course! Thank you so much for having me.

It's honestly a pleasure. This is your TV debut, right?

Yes, it is. I'm so scared right now. Brielle nervously laughs, looking around at the audience and then back at Jimmy.

No, no, don't be scared. Let's first talk about your album, hell, which just came out about a month ago. Do you wanna tell us what it's about?

Sure! So hell is all about a, um, a failed relationship. It's kind of long; do you want the whole story? Jimmy nods, signaling Brielle to continue. So when I was 13 I had the biggest crush on this kid at my school. He was 16 at the time. Well on my 14th birthday, he did this whole big event to ask me out. I was surprised he liked me back since he was so much older than me, but I really liked him, so I said yes and we started dating. At first, it was really great, but it quickly started going downhill. He would emotionally abuse me a lot, and I'm not going to go into detail, but there was a lot of forced intimacy. I was so young that I never explicitly said no, but I definitely wasn't comfortable with certain things. For our 3-year anniversary and my 17th birthday, this guy took me to Paris. The week leading up to my birthday in Paris was amazing. He was like a whole other guy. I really truly believed I was in love with him. But, on my 17th birthday, I woke up to no one in the hotel room. I checked my phone and saw that he had texted me. Brielle stops talking for a moment, trying to compose herself.

What did it say?

He said, um, he said "happy 3 years love, this isn't working for me, we're done."

Oh, so that line in haunted wasn't made up. Was that a voice memo or did you just let someone else speak that line?

I wish it were made up. I start haunted off with that line but it's actually one of my friends who speaks it, Jason Webster. But so the day I got this text, my ex posted about his girlfriend, who I later found out he was cheating on me with for the entire second half of our relationship.

Oh my god. That's horrible.

Ya. It was a very rough day for me. But so that's the backstory of hell. It basically tells the story of my emotions throughout and after the relationship.