CHAPTER 43: ARRIVING AT CAMP (BONUS!!)

Start from the beginning

She sighed, unwilling to argue a point she'd already pressed several times. "Yes. Let's rest for a bit. I want to consult our maps. We should be getting close?"

"I believe so. Let's stop and take a look."

They slowed and diverted from their path, making the careful ascent to the jagged rocks that jutted up over the landscape. They were peppered randomly in clusters all over this part of the landscape, as if a giant had ground up massive chunks of granite and tossed them out like dice. And between these formations the hills and grass were a vivid green, dotted with wispy pink wildflowers. She kept an eye on her handmaidens and guards while she and Feowen consulted the roll of maps he'd brought. She had her own handbook of maps from Desaree, but it was tucked away in the travel packs she'd brought.

Feowen pulled a metal object from his pocket—a starscope. She'd been enamored by the Sprite device the day prior. "How else do you expect us to find our way?" he'd asked. "How will we know what stars lie above during the day, or when we're beneath the forest's trees? We don't all enjoy spending hours on sky platforms above our homes." She'd been shocked to discover it's use. Day or night, indoors or out, the scope allowed its user to see a perfect mapping of the stars overhead.

Feowen placed the scope to his eye and turned his gaze skyward. He alternated between glancing down at his maps and charts, and looking skyward through the device. "Here." He put his finger on the map. "We're somewhere here."

She eyed their location. Close. So close to where Talon was supposed to build his camp. Her stomach somersaulted with anticipation. "But that means..."

"That we should arrive in the next few hours." He grinned at her. "Ready to reunite with your king, Your Majesty?" His eyes glittered with knowing mischief.

She held his gaze for a beat, then nodded. Perhaps her emotions had been easier to read than she'd thought. "More than ready."

She gathered her party and announced their upcoming arrival, then Selphie and Meira insisted on preparing her. She changed clothes, out of her travel attire and into a lovely gown they'd surprised her with just before departure from Esterpine. Something they'd made for today's occasion. They wanted her to arrive in King Talon's war camp looking like a queen of two kingdoms.

Like her ballgown, this was a hybrid dress with long layers of silver gauzy skirts and a bodice that looked almost like armor, pieced together with rigid starlight silver boning and panels of translucent silver cloth. Only her breasts were hidden by multiple layers. The rest of her chest and arms were protected by a single layer, putting her glowing marks on full display.

Her Sprite sword was belted at her waist with a leather belt that had been painted silver. Cyrus's sword was strapped to her back with another silver belt, opposite her bow and quiver of Yirnik feathered arrows.

"Your hair should go up," said Meira, fussing over her. "To display your marks."

She didn't argue.

"I hope you won't mind, Queen Claire," Selphie added as a black velvet drawstring pouch appeared in her hands. "We also had this made before we departed. With Lord Koldis and Reyr's input."

She stilled. "What is it?"

But Selphie didn't answer and instead, handed it to her. When she removed the starlight silver tiara inside, she gasped. The metalwork was exquisite, woven bands that twined like calligraphic flourishes came to a point in the center where a cluster of white diamonds bracketed a glittering black, iridescent jewel.

"It's black seledonix. Very rare. Found only deep beneath the earth in the Gable Forest."

She blinked at what she held in her hands. Black like Talon's scales. It sparkled like them too. Her handmaidens wouldn't have known to use a stone like this without Koldis and Reyr. And Talon's Shields hadn't so much as breathed a word of it to her. She wished they were here, so she could hug them for their thoughtfulness.