CHAPTER 45: A NEW VOYAGE

Celenore's Coast

Bennett stepped out of the rowboat, glancing over his shoulder to the ship behind him. Lady Faith bobbed just beyond the shallows, her crew busy at work unloading cargo into rowboats. As promised, he'd instructed Cat to remain aboard and below deck. He'd remain true to his word—wouldn't mention anything about her presence. Besides, if she encountered anyone here who knew her, he didn't want to enact any of his rights to keep her on as crew. Things were simply easier this way. Yes, perhaps he'd become a little selfish. She was a good healer, after all. Then again, anyone with a shred of magic was better than what he'd had before.

The other ships had weighed anchor along the coast too. Dwargs had already begun disembarking, doing much the same as his crew. They were far enough from Squall's End that the dragons wouldn't notice them. And hopefully the darkness of night helped with that, should any of the beasts happen to drift out to the mouth of Stormy Bay.

Hopefully.

Mikkin was at his side, along with a few other Dwargs. Jamie and Unka were busy helping with the cargo. His boots squished in the sand, making walking harder. He strode forward, approaching the small crowd that had gathered on the beach. "I'll find you later," Mikkin said, branching away to go oversee their efforts. He grunted, watching him disappear.

A darker skinned Drengr peeled away from the main group that had gathered, coming straight for him. "You must be Captain Bennett. We met. Not sure if you remember?"

"Ahh, yes. Lord Bedelth. Pleased to see you again." They grasped forearms. Beaky chose that moment to fly overhead, circle around, then land on his shoulder.

Bedelth nodded, his eyes darting to the bird and back. His lips tipped up at the corners. "Didn't expect you here, but can't say I'm surprised. Heard you were one of the best merchant captains in Dragonwall. After the delivery of that ice metal a several months back, I didn't doubt it."

He lifted his chin, but opted for modesty. "Rumors are rumors. I let my actions speak for themselves."

"Certainly. And what of this?" Bedelth asked. "No problems?"

Bennett glanced around and said, "Everything went without issue. Took some time getting loaded up and out of the port. But smooth sailing after that. As you can see, we've got our vessels unloading now. I was told some of your Drengr might help with that. Most of it's being rowed to shore. Could take all night."

Bedelth nodded, his eyes glancing over the activity on the beach. "I anticipated as much. The armor?"

"You'll have to speak with Lord Dubrael's folk about that," Bennett said. "But I understand there's a fair amount. How do you plan to get it to the camp?"

"Camp's not far from here. We can transport it under the cover of darkness." Bedelth hesitated. "You'll be taking your leave after this? What are your plans next?"

He lifted a shoulder. He had a few ideas, but none that he wanted to voice to the king's right hand. Shields were the innermost circle of Dragonwall's hierarchy. They looked out for their king and their kingdom. His affairs weren't much their concern. "Perhaps we'll see where the seas take us."

To a busy port, first and foremost, since he owed Cat a bunch of ingredients for her work.

Bedelth nodded. "If that's the case, I've a request, if you'd like to hear it. Could be dangerous."

He lifted his eyebrows. "Oh? Danger always has a way of finding me, whether I want it or not. But...you've got my attention."

"There's been talk of Kane visiting Oshea. You heard that?"