CHAPTER 23: ANSWERS IN ASHVALE

Ashvale

Claire wasn't sure what to expect of Ashvale, but not this. The Sprite city was different from Esterpine in many ways. Where Esterpine was elegant with glittering sheets of shaped glass and crystal, Ashvale was quaint, with moss covered cottages. It looked like a place meant for forest nymphs. Mesmerized didn't begin to explain the way she felt walking through its streets. She trailed wide-eyed behind Princess Taylynn, who led them to a large three story cottage.

They'd arrived in the middle of the day, so the dirt walkways were bustling. The Sprites they passed stopped to watch. As soon as their onlookers realized who the prince and princess were, they swept into deep bows whispering in Eldunar. Some of their voices were too low, but she caught much of their respectful greetings.

Her feet were aching from days of walking. She was tired, hungry, and wanted nothing more than a hot bath and soft bed. The cottage rising up before them looked as if it could offer that and more. Something warm and inviting—a direct opposite to the cold Crystal Palace.

"This accommodation belongs to our family," Taylynn explained, standing before the door. "We stay here whenever we come to visit." She ran her hand over the knob without speaking; the sound of a lock clicking had Claire and Koldis glancing at each other. "We do not keep palace staff here, so our home is closed up while we are away." Without a backwards glance, Taylynn disappeared into its depths. Feowen led jeanine in after her. By the time Claire and Koldis stepped through, Taylynn already had the large entry room glowing with light.

"It's..." Claire trailed off, stepping away from the others to take it all in. She turned in a circle, eyes studying the ceiling, the stairs that led to the upper floors, and arched doorways leading to the other rooms. "It's magical."

"It feels more like home than the palace ever will," Feowen said, as if reading her thoughts. He casually removed his boots and plopped them on a set of shelves by the door. Following his lead, the rest of them did the same.

Every inch of the cottage was wood, and aside from the floor, every inch of wood was carved by an expert hand. Each arch was bordered by vines and flowers. Deep lines along the walls depicted murals across the stretches of plain wood. The bannisters along the stairs were wrapped with gossamer fabrics that shimmered. Plush rugs underfoot were woven with vibrant purples and blues. Heavy drapes framed the windows, letting in the forest's glow from outside.

"Now—" Taylynn turned to Claire and Koldis, eyes bright. "Who would like a tour?" Her face held nothing of the stoic seriousness it usually did. The princess loved this place—it was written in her expression, in the relaxed set of her shoulders.

Claire glanced at Koldis and noticed with a measure of satisfaction that he was transfixed by Taylynn's expression. "Koldis would love a tour, wouldn't you?" She elbowed him, which made him blink and glance down at her, only to frown. Caught in the act. "We both would," she added, grinning at Taylynn.

"Good. Follow me."

Little had changed between Taylynn and Koldis in the past couple of days. They'd settled for frosty politeness on the few occasions they spoke to each other. But she didn't miss the way Koldis's gaze followed her. And much to her satisfaction, she even caught Taylynn frowning at him on the rare occasion he was preoccupied with other matters and wouldn't see her staring. A frown was better than nothing—Claire supposed.

They were lead through a formal and then an informal sitting room. Instead of sofas, they were filled plush stuffed poufs—what she'd call giant bean bag chairs. A large dining room that would hold ten was conveniently situated beside a cookery. The cookery wasn't quite like any she'd seen in Dragonwall or even Esterpine. While most Sprites did their cooking outdoors, this one was clearly meant to break the trend. Or perhaps Ashvale as a whole was simply much different than the rest of the world. It was outfitted with a water pump, sink, countertops of glossy wood, an iron stove, a giant fireplace, and a latticework of dried plants hanging from the ceiling. It looked more like a kitchen than a cookery. A huge table ran down the middle with plainly carved chairs—somewhere a family might gather informally for meals. A quick glimpse into the pantry showed it stuffed with all sorts of magically protected foodstuffs like flour and sugar, dried fruits, nuts, and the like.