CHAPTER 32: A TRADE

The Gable Forest

Claire insisted they stop for rest. Queen Jade had taken the lead and set a tireless pace, showing an amount of comfort and ease that could only come from thousands of years living in this world. They'd walked for hours, enough that Claire's feet were beginning to ache when at last she spoke up.

"Right. Of course, of course," said Jade. "This is as good a place as any, I suppose. But..."

"But what?" Her nerves were frayed, otherwise she never would've addressed a monarch in this way. A slight breeze rustled the trees around them. She sighed, leaning into it, letting it cool her temper.

"There's a place I know of, not far ahead, with a water fall and a little spring. You would like it, I think. We should rest there." The queen appeared more subdued, at least, as she glanced down at herself and barked an uncharacteristic laugh. "I might even clean up a little. I admit, the forest often gets the better of me when I stay away from the palace too long."

Uncharacteristic. That was a good way to describe not just the queen's laugh but everything. This entire ordeal. Running into her here. Seeing her unkempt. Chasing after some cure Claire knew next to nothing about. But, if it meant cleansing the sickness...

"All right, fine," she agreed, sighing. "It's not far, is it?"

"No, no. Just a few minutes. I've been to this area many times." Jade pointed to a boulder formation partially hidden by forest growth. "When I was younger, much younger, I used to sit there with handfuls of berries and listen to the trees. It marks the trail leading to the falls."

"Lead on, then." Claire's stomach grumbled as she said it. Berries. She wouldn't mind a few when they stopped to rest. Fresh baked bread would be better, though. The craving for cinnamon rolls popped into her head; she almost groaned with hunger. She couldn't wait to eat herself silly when she returned to Kastali Dun. Meat pies. She'd go to the market and purchase a hundred of them. More—

"Can you hear it?" They hadn't quite walked for a quarter of an hour. But she did. She heard the falling of water. It always sounded so musical, so peaceful.

"I do. We're close?"

"Yes. Just...here." As Queen Jade spoke, the threes thinned and opened to a small, rocky clearing with a quaint spring filled by a five foot waterfall. "We've got these all over the forest," the queen said. "There are several just outside of Esterpine. Have you found any of them yet?"

"No, actually. I haven't." She feasted her eyes, mesmerized. "May I?" She wasn't sure why she felt the need to ask permission. Perhaps because Jade was queen; this was her domain.

"Of course." The queen also stepped forward, going to the pool and dipping her fingers in. Claire did the same. It was crisp, cool. She washed her hands, face, neck, then drank deep. Jade let out a small laugh. "Always so refreshing. Well...take as long as you need, Lady Claire. I think I'll have a private break myself. Excuse me."

The queen padded away, disappearing into the foliage, leaving her there to splash more water on her hands. She sat back on her heels, surveying the sight before her, sighing deeply. This. This was why she loved the forest. Hidden gems that looked like they'd come straight out of a storybook. Out of a fantasy painting. She listened to the birds, watched a few swoop down and flutter in the water before taking off again.

She wasn't sure how long she sat like that, just taking it all in. Five minutes? Perhaps more? The queen must have needed a long bathroom break. She suppressed a smile. Even queens needed their moments alone.

What would it be like being Talon's queen? Living with a male? Sharing his space? She certainly wasn't going to keep her suite in the Hall of Kings if—when—they mated. She'd have a whole tower floor to herself in the king's tower. Her ladies in waiting would have their own rooms, and Desaree would preside over everything. This time, she did smile. Desaree would make a perfect head lady, assuming she still wanted the job now that she'd regained her family's title.