fifteen

"Okay, let's try the next one." Tsukishima flipped the numerous pages of English exam materials he had flying out of his texts book, flinging the questions at everyone at the table, especially the three people who needed them the most: me, Hinata and Kageyama. He assertively threw the language inquiries in the air as if they were nothing but child's play to him, and made judgement to whoever got them wrong, however correcting them when needed.

"Select the prepositional phrase in this sentence: The key to success is in your hands." Tsukishima waited as everyone pondered for the answer. 

Kageyama's face contorted in mental agony as his mind scurried for a remote answer, Hinata stared ahead in a complete trance of confusion, and I looked down at the table not daring to make eye contact with my tutor. My brain just wasn't working today and it clearly showed in my memorising skills.

"Are you guys kidding? I just told you what a prepositional phrase is! Why do your faces look like that?" His voice said it all, disappointment and astonishment lingering on his tongue.

I turned to look at the pair to my right, a small giggle threatening to leave my mouth at the pure sight of their distorted faces. They were just as bad as me.

"Erm," Kageyama was the first to try, "'The key'?"

Tsukishima put his head in his hands, "No you idiot."

Then Hinata spoke up, "'to success'?"

"No! That's an infinitive."

With having my work cut out for me, I finally spoke up, "'in your hands'?"

Everyone's eyes landed on me, however making contact with Tsukishima's was embarrassing to say the least. His golden eyes behind his glasses almost hinted a look of sympathy for how my brain wasn't processing the information--in other words he silently thought that I was just dumb. Hinata and Kageyama were relieved that we could move onto the next question. Hinata actually praised me for getting the answer correct even if it was spoon fed to me, clapping his hands together like it was a big achievement.

Yamaguchi looked just as lost as Tsukishima, "What about this one: 'Which of these sentences contains a superlative adjective? The sun shines brighter in the summer. Or. Winter has the coldest nights'."

"Oh, I know this one!" I shot up from my chair, my excitement of finally knowing a English gramma term getting the best of me.

"Wait, Hoshiko," Tsukishima gestured me back on my seat, "Let's see if these two know as well."

I gazed over to see once again the gears in their hands twisting and turning, their once tall postures hunched over the table in a uncomfortable and concealing way. Hinata glanced over at his friend and manoeuvred his hand to grab Kageyama's attention, now both of them peering behind to quietly discuss the answer. Tsukishima rolled his eyes and shook his head in disapproval, stretching his body in a overly sarcastic way which brushed his legs against mine briefly. It wasn't much, but the awkward contact made me shy away and shuffle more to the right avoiding what seemed to be his stare on me again. It was obviously going to happen in such a claustrophobia seating arrangement such as this; we should be close enough now to accept it and move on.

Kageyama turned back around, and so did Hinata, "We have our answer."

They looked at each other and nodded in agreement, "The sun shines brighter in the summer!"

"Have you guys not listened to anything I have said? This is our second study session and you have learnt nothing." Tsukishima's voice grew angrier at the incorrect answer, letting the paper full of questions cascade onto the table as he folded his arms.