21 | Spring Sunburns

Începe de la început

"Begin!" Umeda signals, his hand splitting the air in the middle. There's a millisecond of hesitation, then it sounds like an underwater zoo.

Kai is neatly taping down the corners of the plastic table cloth, Yusho is plating the food, Reon is setting the table with him, while Shirabu is the only one left on the white plastic chair under the umbrella.

"Hey, Shirabu!" Umeda calls to Shirabu, who's covering his eyes with the back of his hand.

"What is it?" he groans.

"Let's join them! I know you don't like chicken fights, but come on. Ushijima is with Hana and I have no one to pair up with."

Before he begins pleading, Shirabu responds. "Okay."

"Really?" He has sparks in his eyes.

"Sure, why not?"

There's now another team with the rest, another gallon of gasoline poured on the fire. None of them seem to notice us. The chaos is growing and I'm eternally grateful to be far out with Wakatoshi.

It's just me and him. Him and I. Wakatoshi and Hana. Ushijima and Takahashi. Boy and girl, whatever pair you want. It's only us. We're swimming out farther. He let go of me and I'm painfully walking and paddling with my hands. My fingers surf over the minor waves pulling me back.

"Are you holding up okay?" With his height and muscular build, the waves that are pulling me away are nothing to him.

"Yes, I've got it under control."

"Come over here," he beckons.

I keep going. His tone becomes sweeter and softer as he says, "We're almost there, just a second. This is a place you can't miss."

I paddle over onto the rock where he sits. It's right above the water so it's like a makeshift island. How ironic, it fits the both of us perfectly. I feel the algae beneath my thighs, it's slimy and weird.

"I can't believe it's my first time at the beach. I can't believe I'm here." I bring my hands up from the water.

"How come you've never been before?" he asks, lying back. His body lights up.

"My parents are busy. I've got school and studying, we don't have time for it."

"You mean they don't have time."

"That's true," I say, looking away. It stings to know he sees through me, but I feel a sense of comfort.

"I get it, I know how it feels. That's why I go on these trips with friends, to make memories of my own." He looks out at the water.

"You're right." He stuns me with his next line. Random, out of context, but beautiful.

"The ocean is no further than the unfaltering depths of her eyes," he says.

"What?" I'm shocked. It's true, so true. 

"I've been trying to write after all our lessons. That's the best stanza I wrote so far."

"It's beautiful, Wakatoshi. You're making great progress." I say, running my fingers through my hair.

It's only a stanza. Except, it's exactly what I see in the olive-colored irises that look my way in that moment. A glance is what leads me to observe the little details of his eyes. My gaze is strong, unbreakable, and determined. 

His eyes are whimsical, charming, alluring, every word in the dictionary that's synonymous with perfection. Sharp, protected, and strong. He's been through a lot and I can sense it. They're firm and hardened, yet so soft under the the gentle sunlight.