8- Meeting with the Masters

Start from the beginning

"What?" I shriek at the thought of losing one of my favorite teachers. I remember what happened the last time. Because we had such few people in my department, I couldn't afford to get rid of a person. He stayed as long as I was available, and he loudly complained to anyone and everyone, earning me a nickname of a tyrant. People were angry at me, even angrier when I left, leaving two important spots empty.

But, I don't want to leave unless it's absolutely necessary. I love being surrounded by magic, I want to leave good memories here. I want my people to keep liking me... even if I have to get rid of one. I look at Kramer, seeing him scratch the surface of the desk.

"He can barely walk, he can barely hear, he can barely see... he told me he can help in any way but he wants to be home with family." Kramer mumbles.

I frown at the sad news. "Okay. But who are we going to get on such a short notice? Who is capable of teaching all the other history courses? We're all busy."

"I have an idea." Kramer smiles before he once again reaches down and ruffles through his bag before taking out a single piece of paper, happier with with the 'good' news of letting him go. "In the South is a graduate from our program. You should remember him."

I take the paper and read the name and see the picture. "Mage Roman." I nod, remembering my elder a year above. "Can he work here?"

"I don't know." I frown at that statement. "He was last seen just doing clerical work but he doesn't practice. Someone in his family is sick so he stopped working here and just tried to make money."

"We'll send him a letter. Anyone else good at history?"

"...You?"

I look at Kramer and then start laughing loudly. I laugh for a while and then wipe a tear. "You're funny. I thought you said 'you' as in me- the Master Mage of Ancient Magic with a lot of duties and work- teach students history."

"Well, Giselle, you're also the prettiest person in the Academy. If you interact with the students, they will see a very pretty lady, they'll want to look good in your eyes so they'll actually read and boom! We have more people and we won't be so stretched out." Kramer raises his voice at the end.

"Kramer... I- I'm so busy." I sigh. "I can't divert my attention. I'm already worn thin. I guess I can use Mage Hews lectures as a blueprint.... No. I can't grade assessments and such on top of my heavy work load."

Kramer shuffles through his bag once again and pulls out a small packet. He flips to the first page. "Student Andrese and Student Murla are both good students. They're fourth years and can be TAs, meaning they'll do the grading and meet with students who struggle. You were a TA, you should know what they do and how much they help professors." He hands me the packet.

I look over their scores and see they're top students, they would probably help a lot. "Okay, but I still have my duties. I can't abandon them."

"Flip to the next page." Kramer points. I do as he says and see a recent graduate. "Mage Emeu can be my secretary. You give me the mundane things and you keep working on important matters. I give my mundane to Emeu so I can handle your work."

"So my secretary will have a secretary?" I ask, not sure if it will work.

"Yes," he smiles. "Now flip to the next page."

I look down at a bad drawing of five people. "What is this?"

"I call this- the Dream Team." Kramer smiles. "That's you and that's me." He points out the rest of our group members that he drew.

"Kramer, it sounds like you came up with a good way to balance out the workload, but you haven't pushed why I should do this. I don't live here, I can't travel every day to the Academy. You're going to have to get Mage Roman here." I shake my head.