ROTFK - Chapter 9

"I am from the Fourth Order of Knights that have served the royal family for generations."

"...Elena Blaise. "
Elena was stunned to hear him say her name. He knew her? How? Elena gave Carlisle a look of complete disbelief.

"You know me?"
She never foresaw this outcome. Prince Carlisle had been on the battlefield since childhood and had never appeared in high society. There way no way he could have met her, who lived in the region south of the capital city. She wasn't like her father, the count, or her brother, the heir... There was little chance of knowing the eldest daughter. It was more likely that a needle thrown into the sky would fall on her head.

She looked at Carlisle with confused eyes, pondering the possibility of a previous meeting between herself and the crown prince. But she just couldn't figure out how he knew her name. In the meanwhile Carlisle's surprised expression cleared and was replaced by his usual mysterious, stoic face.

"How did you know I was in danger? And since when did you become good at sword fighting?"
At Carlisle's sudden question, Elena calmed her confused head and began organizing the responses she had prepared. She couldn't give him the truth, but she still had to give him a plausible answer. If she told him she knew he was going to be assassinated here because he was from the future, her would think of her as a madwoman.

"In my family...I'm not supposed to learn about sword fighting. So I came out alone and happened to find the crown prince in danger and helped him."

"So it was a coincidence? All of this?"
She could tell by looking at Carlisle's eyes that he didn't believe her. Of course he wouldn't. There were many holes in her claim. Everything was a lie. But she carefully planed her excuses, and on top of that she was the one who saved his life–he could not be suspicious of her even if there was doubt. If she had bad intentions, she never would have risked her life to save his. Elena's actions spoke more than any believable explanation. But still...

Carlisle nodded first before she could bring out her prepared words.

"Alright...if that's what you say."

"What?"
He wasn't even willing to listen to her a moment ago, and his sudden cooperation caught her off guard. Carlisle continued speaking in a soft voice, while Elena looked on with a confused expression.

"I believe you."
What? Why would he believe her? Elena was barely able to hold back the questions that begged to come out of her mouth. This was a good result no matter what and she wouldn't spoil the atmosphere with unnecessary queries. The situation would only become more complicated if Carlisle decided to change his mind. Elena quietly observed the man before her, while Carlisle seemed to be in a more inquisitive mood.

"Why did you propose to me suddenly?"
He said he wouldn't get married, but now he was acting like it didn't even happen.

"You weren't talking like this a while ago."

"It's different now."

"How?"

"Because you're Elena Blaise."

"What?"
It was a completely unexpected answer.

"You didn't answer my question so let me ask again. Do you know me, Your Highness?"

"Don't you know me?"
His eyes shimmered strangely. She had never seen the crown prince in her life. She was sure her memory wasn't so poor that she could forget about such a handsome face.

"As soon as I saw you from afar for the first time today I knew you were the crown prince."

"I'm not asking that."