The Usurper from the Wilds

Start from the beginning

"I'm all for it. Getting stomped isn't exactly fun for us either."

"I know many members of Savanaclaw House aspire to play in the Spelldrive pro league. Savanaclaw House had never landed in less than third place in the history of this school. And yet in both of the last two years, you've been eliminated in the first round after being matched against Diasomnia House. That's certainly not impressing any recruiters. Thus, this matter of disproportionate performance directly affects your players' future."

"And you're sayin' you expect us to make fools of ourselves on the field again this year?" The lion male said, scowling.

"It certainly beings me no pleasure to suggest it. Regardless, Mr. Draconia has already agreed to be included into the hall of fame. All we need now is this committee's approval."

"So you're sayin' we need a handicap. Listen and listen well, Teach...Ain't nothin' I hate more than someone tellin' me "you can't win" before I even begin to fight."

"No, that is not my intention—"

"Then what is? First of all, Spelldrive ain't a game about power." He said, before pointing at his head, "It's all about what's up here, in your head!"

"I'm pretty sure my head can't beat Malleus's." The white haired male said.

"I don't doubt that. But mine can. Sure, in a battle of brute force, no one's beatin' him. But in a battle of wits—that's a different story."

"Intriguing..." Azul muttered.

"The King of Beasts from the Great Seven won his throne through cunning and persistence. You all should be wrackin' your brains, trying to come up with a way to beat that monster! Whichever team figures that out is gonna be sittin' real pretty on the world stage. Are you gonna let a once-in-a-lifetime chance like that get yanked out from under you?"

"For once, Leona is making perfect sense. I agree—this plan is utter nonsense. It reeks of some kind of unconscious bias on your part. And I despise that sort of thing." The beautiful male said.

"I am in complete agreement with Housewarden Vil." Riddle said, nodding, "As one of the foremost mages here, the last thing I want to do is give up without a fight."

Leona smirked, "Don't you wanna see the self-important, stuck-up jerk's crestfallen face get broadcast to the whole world? Doesn't the thought of it make you wanna roar?"

The Octavinelle warden let out a small laugh, "That would certainly boost the ratings!"

"Well, I certainly don't want to be on the losing side of this." The cheery male said.

"Seriously? I'm the only one who wants him in the hall of fame?" The male in the tablet said.

"I think we have our answer. The hall of fame idea is officially shut down." The lion male said, looking at Crowley, who sighed.

"...Fine, fine. But if this year ends up being a repeat of the last two years, he's going in the next year for sure."

"That's your call."

"Well, that was the last item on today's agenda. Everyone, remember to submit your registrations. Not that I would be upset if it were to slip your mind..." Azul said, mumbling the last sentence with a chuckle.

"Incidentally, where is Malleus? Did everyone forget to invite him again?" The male now known as Vil said.

"Oops!" Everyone said.

-----

"The Spelldrive tournament rosters should be final any day now."

"Have you come up with any flashy new spells?"